Bellows hopper hack (Urbanic) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Transparent Roaster

#11: Post by Transparent Roaster »

Chuck12345,
I'm curious if your copper tape modification (seen in post #5) helps to reduce static? Do you earth ground the grind cup/container as well as the whole body? I have the 070s model and static can be a bit much at times...
CK

Chuck12345 (original poster)

#12: Post by Chuck12345 (original poster) »

I still need to ground it the cord it came with is a European type 220. Adapted and I will replace with a grounded US shortly I have some slight static without... So far. And will report back as to if grounding to outlet helps.
The static I do have is in the bellows and the rubber cup under the grind chamber (very fine)

Transparent Roaster

#13: Post by Transparent Roaster »

Thanks for the information. I'll stay tuned for your updated findings.
CK

Transparent Roaster

#14: Post by Transparent Roaster »

Here's a custom bellows solution for an Urbanic grinder (070s version with a 250g hopper). It was printed using TPU filament, 0.8mm nozzle, with a 0.4mm layer height, with vase mode printing only the outer contour. This was the 3rd iteration and it functions perfectly with the right amount of spring back and large air volume moved. After multiple tests, this style bellows revealed around (+-) 0.4 gram variance between beans input to grinds output. :D
CK

Chuck12345 (original poster)

#15: Post by Chuck12345 (original poster) »

Sorry for the delay but yes it has been grounded to earth...thru the outlet (U.S.) I replaced the factory cord with a 3 prong 15 amp grounding both the board and housing via the grounding tape . The SS container the factory provided is grounded as well...removed the foam ring from the bottom.
It does help with some of the static...better than just a wet spoon. Not perfect, I do get fines dusting the inside of my bellows and the plastic nozzel over the container but I have come to the realization that ground coffee is like sweeping compound. It likes to stick to everything especially if flung aginst the surfaces of the spinning burr holder. I dont have nearly as much static as it originally did. In retrospect my sweeping bristles are going to be shorter SS bristles from a brush and will be epoxied in instead of silicone. The oils did release the nylon after a few months.
All in all,I do enjoy this grinder and will let you know how well it holds up in the long run.

joconnell

#16: Post by joconnell »

Dumb question Chuck - I like the idea of doing the same cord change to my 070s - when you say grounding the board and housing via the grounding tape, is the ground tape already existing inside the unit? If so is it just a case of taking the wire of the ground, lifting the ground tape and tucking the bare end of the ground cable in, sticking the tape back down? Don't suppose you took any photos while you were in there?

Thanks for the information, the little sweeper is a great idea too! I was going to look at doing a tile on mine as I see the same buildup of grounds in the augur chamber but your brush solution also seems great!

for the sake of some other info, I bought the xeoleo bellows from aliexpress and while they're working pretty well, they don't sit perfectly into the inlet - in my urbanic it feels like the chute narrows a tiny bit so the bellows sit about 2mm proud and can rock a little bit. The bellows from https://lesbrew.coffee/ used in lance hedrick's review seem like a better fit. Also right now, the aluminium of the xeoleo bellows definitely gets some static. Not having the little trap door of the original hopper means a lot of grounds get flung up during grinding so there's a bit of mess inside the bellows!