Bearings or Bushings?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BaristaBoy E61

#1: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I've long wondered whether our Mahlkonig K30 Vario grinder motor has bearings or bushings, as I don't know. Given that it is designed as a commercial grinder I would hope it has bearings.

This should be included in the specs as it would provide an indicator of build quality, a justification of price, life-cycle expectation, as well as value in the 'Previously Owned' market, to appropriate the euphemistic language of the 'Used' Car industry.

What about your grinder, does your grinder motor have bearings or bushings?

Do you know? Do you care?

I'd like to hear from you.

TNX
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Henry_k

#2: Post by Henry_k »

Yes, low quality grinders use bearings. Production ruled by profitability rate.
But don't worry - it has low impact on overall grinder quality.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
ira
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by ira »

It's unlikely that any decent motorized grinder uses bushings. Some hand grinders use bushings, Lido and Pharos come to mind and lots of modern hand grinders uses ball bearings. I have an early Helor hand grinder with unsealed ceramic bearings and and properly adjusted it's the smoothest, freest spinning grinder you can imagine, but misadjust them and they break. Metal ones require lubricant and seals which can leak which requires careful design or food safe lubricant. Notice in most all traditional grinders the bearings are below the burrs and in things like a Bunn where that's not true, the motor with bearings and grind chamber are separated by an air gap. Not a lot of grinders where that might be a concern, Versalab, EG-1 and HG-1 are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Ira