Baratza Vario w/Steel Burrs vs Virtuoso Preciso?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EvanOz85

Postby EvanOz85 » Apr 06, 2016, 11:05 am

I feel like this is a very basic question, but after searching here and on Google I am unable to find a concise opinion.

Which grinder produces a better grind for pour-over/press; Virtuoso or Vario with the Ditting burrs?

I have both a Virtuoso Preciso, and the ceramic burr Vario. I recently brought the Preciso to my office for brewing drip coffee there, and depending on early reviews might switch to the Sette 270W for my home espresso grinding. That leaves me with the Vario. Should I change the burrs to steel, or look for something else? I have a LIDO 2 and 3, but for larger amounts I still like to use electric. Thanks!

TheCastanza

Postby TheCastanza » Apr 06, 2016, 12:42 pm

I'm not sure if I have a bum virtuoso (preciso burrs but not the mirco adjustments of the full preciso), but I absolutely hate it. It produces a ridiculous amount of fines and seems extremely inconsistent in terms of particle size at a given setting (IMO). I had a bodum bistro I sold to get it and would prefer using that over this virtuoso.

EvanOz85

Postby EvanOz85 » Apr 06, 2016, 1:02 pm

TheCastanza wrote:I'm not sure if I have a bum virtuoso (preciso burrs but not the mirco adjustments of the full preciso), but I absolutely hate it. It produces a ridiculous amount of fines and seems extremely inconsistent in terms of particle size at a given setting (IMO). I had a bodum bistro I sold to get it and would prefer using that over this virtuoso.

Thanks, but I'm really just looking for someone who has used BOTH the Vario with Steel Burrs and the Virtuoso and can compare the two.

Gig103

Postby Gig103 » Apr 06, 2016, 1:12 pm

TheCastanza wrote:I'm not sure if I have a bum virtuoso (preciso burrs but not the mirco adjustments of the full preciso), but I absolutely hate it. It produces a ridiculous amount of fines and seems extremely inconsistent in terms of particle size at a given setting (IMO). I had a bodum bistro I sold to get it and would prefer using that over this virtuoso.

Do you ever use your Vario (I'm assuming you have ceramic burrs in it) as pour over?

EvanOz85

Postby EvanOz85 » Apr 06, 2016, 1:29 pm

Gig103 wrote:Do you ever use your Vario (I'm assuming you have ceramic burrs in it) as pour over?

Sorry, I am asking a more specific question: If you have both of these grinders, with steel burrs, which one is better?

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Apr 06, 2016, 3:31 pm

FYI, I edited some snarky replies; I also removed several of the last few posts going back and forth about thread hijacking. Please take a moment to review the Guidelines for productive online discussion, notably #1 and #3. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

turtle

Postby turtle » Apr 06, 2016, 11:30 pm

I used a Vario-w (ceramic and later steel) and Preciso/Esatto side by side for a year or so.

Both were fine for pour over grinding.

I did notice a taste difference between the flat and conical burrs using the same bean and brew method.

I later sold the Vario-w and got a Forte BG but kept the Preciso/Esatto and continued to use them side by side for pour over grinding.

I've since sold the Preciso/Esatto and now have two Forte BG for all of my pour over and press grinding.

You would need to decide for yourself if your preference is the taste from flat steel or conical steel burrs.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Apr 07, 2016, 12:08 am

EvanOz85 wrote:Thanks, but I'm really just looking for someone who has used BOTH the Vario with Steel Burrs and the Virtuoso and can compare the two.

That would be me, for one.
Personally, I prefer a flat burr for drip/vac pot, etc. YMMV, of course. I just feel the flat burr slightly softens the blow of a bright, lightly roasted SO, which is what I usually brew up in my Kalita. From your postings I know you probably know this. I have been pleased with my Forte, basically (you know this) a Vario built like a tank, and certainly more consistent due to the all metal burr holder and such. I have both the metal (BG) burrs and the ceramic, and prefer the metal burrs for drip. Again, YMMV.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

borisblank

Postby borisblank » Apr 07, 2016, 7:09 am

This isn't EXACTLY an answer to your question, so please don't berate, but:

I had a Vario to which I added steel burrs post-purchase and was fairly satisfied with it. I then shared some coffee at a friend's house who brewed with a Forte-BG. Like turtle, I was surprised that there was a difference - they're the same burrs - but I went back a few times and it persisted, so I purchased one, and haven't looked back.

My brief experience with someone else's Preciso was underwhelming in comparison - fine for what it is but noticeably inferior for my tastes. Like IMA, though, this answer should be self-evident to you based on your experience. Maybe if there was a more specific aspect to your question we could be more helpful - but probably most if not all folks will say of course the Vario-ditting/Forte-BG is "better" for pourover than the Preciso.

EvanOz85

Postby EvanOz85 » Apr 07, 2016, 10:28 am

Thanks guys. I think I will go with the steel burrs for the Vario.

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project