Baratza Vario Super Alignment owner experience - Page 32

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sheedapistawl
Supporter

#311: Post by sheedapistawl »

I am never selling this grinder....

Made a whole post about the jump when fortifying it. The plastic hyperaligned vario is a really amazing grinder, but the Fortified hyperaligned vario....I only go for my anfim (also in excellent alignment) when I dont have time.

Detail about my experience, photos etc here - very similar experience as Peter above summarized. Grinds so fluffy impossible not to use a funnel!
https://www.reddit.com/r/espresso/comme ... ext_level/

jja619

#312: Post by jja619 »

sheedapistawl wrote:Hey guys!! So I got the metal grind chamber and metal threaded upper burr carrier.

Are there any instructions to installing these? Even a few thoughts would be great!

Will installing these require realigning the burrs?

Lastly, I am wondering if the steel burrs will be an upgrade or a horizontal/different move ones these are in...
Hey there! I'm about to purchase those parts from Baratza too. Did you find any good resources on installing them or have any good tips? They keep warning me about how much "mechanical prowess" it'll take to do myself haha.

sheedapistawl
Supporter

#313: Post by sheedapistawl »

Do this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhoMt84jxXs

Just take off the chamber they send you from the plastic motor plate they send you, remove the same plastic chamber on your Vario, take out parts per above video and isntall the metal chamber in your Vario. Give everything a good clean - then do the alignment, check alignment with your hand post process by rotating shaft with the grinder still disassembled and once you ass confirm with the marker test put it back together. Then do marker test with motor plugged in. Definitely flip the flapper while you have the grind open.

After that; make sure you do atleast two to three drops of RDT per dose because ... well below is what your grind is gonna look like! (16g in 18g basket - fluff town)

ziggomatic

#314: Post by ziggomatic »

I installed the Forte metal grind chamber & upper burr carrier yesterday, ran into a bit of a problem as my Vario's plastic grind chamber screws onto the motor plate using different screws than what the new metal Forte grind chamber uses. The plastic chamber screws are much larger & spread out threads (more in the style of wood screw threads). I ended up going to a local hardware store yesterday to source more Philips head M3x12 screws. Going to email Baratza today and see what the deal is, since all their part diagrams for the Vario grind chambers show them using the same M3x12 screws, which was clearly not the case on mine.

pcrussell50

#315: Post by pcrussell50 »

Maybe you have an older Vario? Mine is older, summer 2009, But Baratza did mine for me so I don't know what he to be done. I can say that mine doesn't have letters and numbers on the adjustment scales. Just hash marks. Is yours like that?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

hnns

#316: Post by hnns »

Has anyone from Europe upgraded to metal grind chamber and upper burr carrier? If so, where did you find the parts?

ziggomatic

#317: Post by ziggomatic »

pcrussell50 wrote:Maybe you have an older Vario? Mine is older, summer 2009, But Baratza did mine for me so I don't know what he to be done. I can say that mine doesn't have letters and numbers on the adjustment scales. Just hash marks. Is yours like that?

-Peter
I think mine is from around 2012 so that could be possible. Also just heard back from Baratza they are going to send me the proper screws, excellent customer support from them as always!

sheedapistawl
Supporter

#318: Post by sheedapistawl »

ziggomatic wrote:I installed the Forte metal grind chamber & upper burr carrier yesterday, ran into a bit of a problem as my Vario's plastic grind chamber screws onto the motor plate using different screws than what the new metal Forte grind chamber uses. The plastic chamber screws are much larger & spread out threads (more in the style of wood screw threads). I ended up going to a local hardware store yesterday to source more Philips head M3x12 screws. Going to email Baratza today and see what the deal is, since all their part diagrams for the Vario grind chambers show them using the same M3x12 screws, which was clearly not the case on mine.
In my case they sent the chamber with the paired plastic plate with the paired screws. I tossed the old screws and used the new screws that are compatible with the chamber and the old plastic motor plate that houses the levers (I couldn't find a way to mount the Vario levers on the Forte plastic motor plate...

BFCJunior

#319: Post by BFCJunior »

Hey guys
I'm new to this Home-Barista board and only registred because of the alignment of the coffee mill^^.
I'm from Germany.
Thank you really much for the good information in this board!

I've a Mahlkönig Vario so quite the same as the Baratza one.
The problem is that I don't get a useable alignment.
There's always a "grinding" point when I turn the lower burr. It's like something of the shaft is bent and in some position the burrs have a contact spot.
You really can feel/hear that theres a eccentric movement.

I use ceramic burrs and marked the upper with a pencil. I screwed them out and checked if they are really flat to each other.
Turning them by hand against each other grinds the pencil marks down. So I guess they are ok.
But everything assembeled only grinds a small area ~1/2-3/4".
I dont have the metal housing it's not that easy to get it here in Germany.

When there'd be a constant grinding I would understand it but it's only that small spot where the burrs grind for a really short time.
Could it be possible that the shaft is not in a 90° angle to the mounting surface or had someone a similar problem?

Thanks in advance!

sheedapistawl
Supporter

#320: Post by sheedapistawl »

Did you already try the procedure? I would try to do the procedure first and then think about the shaft to be honest

Below link synthesizes the two main threads and links directly to video and photo guidance on home barista and also has a google doc that Jake developed with a Reddit user good luck! https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comment ... a_baratza/