Baratza Vario Super Alignment owner experience - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#101: Post by baldheadracing »

... and when you put the belt back, try to put the least amount of tension on the belt that fully engages the teeth.

As a bonus, the grinder will be quieter as well.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#102: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

mlunsford27 wrote: I then performed the alignment by tightening the metal grind chamber screws while lightly pushing down on adjustment arms to force the burrs into alignment...boom very first time got completely even marks all the way around the burr when I did the marker test.
Sounds like you got to the bit of the what Jake was describing and did it. Well done!

Your removal of the motor sounds like it's in line with what Jake and Craig meant when they loosened the motor.

Do you use ceramic espresso or steel brew burrs? My motives for asking are selfish. I don't drink much brew. Mostly espresso. While I have a Monolith FlatSSP for that, this alignment puts it at or better than Monolith in that regard. This leaves the difference between this FortArio and Monolith in the burrs themselves. I'm still trying to see where this lies on that continuum as an espresso grinder. From some preliminary outside testing, I've been circling around a theory that it's only as you go lighter and lighter in roast degree, that the edge goes to the Monolith with it's SSP burrs. In the more common medium roasts, my testers couldn't tell the difference in espresso taste between FortArio and Monolith.

Amazing.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#103: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

From the Forte "Alicorn" precision alignment thread, an update from Jake that should apply equally here for those of us who updated our Vario with the Forte metal grind chamber and upper burr holder:

The Alicorn: Achieving Precision Alignment with the Baratza Forté/Vario

Plus, I changed the thread title to include emphasis on the world class alignment that is now possible on these grinders thanks to Jake's discovery about how easy it is.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mlunsford27

#104: Post by mlunsford27 »

pcrussell50 wrote:Do you use ceramic espresso or steel brew burrs?
Using the steel burrs because some folks on this thread said they were good for espresso also and I would like to be able to occasionally switch to brew without having to change the burrs. Also, seems from what I have read that the steel burrs are designed to be more unimodal which may make them even better for espresso than ceramic burrs?

Has anyone done testing of the ceramic vs the steel burrs for espresso yet?

#105: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

mlunsford27 wrote: Has anyone done testing of the ceramic vs the steel burrs for espresso yet?
I've got a good bud who did. But on a NOT-aligned Forte. He could not get the steels to grind fine enough for the light roasts he likes. But on the same NOT-aligned Forte he could. In fact he likes it better than his buddy's Niche was every coffee they tried, with the ceramics. Wildcard: the steels tested were brand new and not seasoned.

I have heard elsewhere that alignment makes a noticeable difference when using the steels for espresso.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mlunsford27

#106: Post by mlunsford27 »

I think you're right. Following alignment I can choke my machine even with a long preinfusion of 20-30 seconds before the first drop without going past where the burrs touch unloaded. Can definitely grind fine enough. I am interested though when someone performs a good comparison which burrs people like more for espresso. Perhaps I should start this though, if I am so interested lol

bgoods1221

#107: Post by bgoods1221 »

Is there any reason to purchase a Forte over a Vario w/ metal grind chamber & lower burr carrier? I've been looking to sell my Niche and buy a Forte/Vario and do the "hyper-alignment" mod.

#108: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to bgoods1221 »

Even though a good reliable engineer friend of mine found the ceramic Forte to win every blind test against the Niche, I would try to make allowance for subjectivity and try both if at all possible before selling.

As for whether to get metallized Vario or Forte, that might be one for Jake. He's had his hands in the guts of both. And he's an engineer.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

acg
Supporter ♡

#109: Post by acg replying to pcrussell50 »

I tried the alignment finally last night. It took quite some time in the end, mainly because I wasn't so familiar with all the parts and connectors. At one time I assembled pretty much everything and then found a couple of springs and small parts left on the table, those for making the lever having some frictions against the housing.

In the end I actually do not know if I am doing it right or not. The latte I made after the alignment seems to be lack of flavors, but the espresso seems a bit less bitter/acid. Will have to try a few more days.

bgoods1221

#110: Post by bgoods1221 »

pcrussell50 wrote:Even though a good reliable engineer friend of mine found the ceramic Forte to win every blind test against the Niche, I would try to make allowance for subjectivity and try both if at all possible before selling.

As for whether to get metallized Vario or Forte, that might be one for Jake. He's had his hands in the guts of both. And he's an engineer.

-Peter
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to try both the vario and Forte - good idea though.

I love the Niche for my espresso needs, but pourover is definitely lacking. Which seems to be a problem with other owners as well.

Hopefully Jake can chime in hear about metallized Vario & Forte debate :)