Baratza Vario shims

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
amamet

#1: Post by amamet »

I installed shims in the adjuster arms years ago to stop the wandering during grinding, worked great till recently. my arms are moving again so I checked to see if the shims fell out or something. nope, still there. do I need larger shims or double them up now? seems ridiculous that these machines need shims in the first place
Allen

mariobarba

#2: Post by mariobarba »

After experiencing a similar issue and reaching out to Baratza, they informed me that over time the shims can get compressed and do need to be replaced. I ended up using a piece of fridge magnet as a shim since it wasn't practical for anyone to ship me a couple of ten cent shims.

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS replying to mariobarba »

I wonder if this is a problem with newer units that are shipped corrected. If they are shimmed at the factory can they get compressed too?

mariobarba

#4: Post by mariobarba »

Not sure if there is a diff between new and old as my Vario is 10+ years old now.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Another owner of a 10 year old Vario, the shims are still working fine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS »

mariobarba wrote:Not sure if there is a diff between new and old as my Vario is 10+ years old now.
I bought a Vario a couple of years ago and emailed Baratza right away regarding the shims and Baratza told me since about 2015 they've installed shims at the factory so I didn't need to do that and also confirmed that my SN was one of those factory-shimmed models. I'm not a fan of the adjustment arms but they seem to be working fine.