Baratza Vario - Post Flapper Mod Retention - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#11: Post by bakafish »

baldheadracing wrote:Just for future reference, here's the donut of retained grinds after about a kilo of light-roasted coffee ground at a pourover grind (V60-01). When removing the upper burr, part of the donut has been left around the (out of focus) upper burr, with the remainder around the lower burr or dropped down into the grind chamber by the act of removing the upper burr.
I cut a name card and pasted it on one of the sweepers to solve this problem.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing replying to bakafish »

Great idea, thanks! :D
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cccpu

#13: Post by cccpu »

bakafish wrote:I cut a name card and pasted it on one of the sweepers to solve this problem.
Is there a way to show us visually?
LMWDP #583

bakafish

#14: Post by bakafish replying to cccpu »

I had sold it and didn't take pictures. It is very easy. Just paste a paper with a double-sided tape. Make it a little longer and wider than the sweeper.

Oskuk

#15: Post by Oskuk »

baldheadracing wrote:As long as you are okay with the Vario, then that's the main thing.

As for what causes the Vario not go back and forth well ... I'd say about $2000 :).
My Vario costed fortunately only 400euros, and only 250euros too much ;-D

Cwilli62

#16: Post by Cwilli62 »

I'm brand new to the Vario. After doing the flapper mod and a portafilter with funnel directly under the chute, so far my retention is 0-0.1 g.

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 replying to Cwilli62 »

This was my experience with just flapper mod as well. Oh, and RDT before grinding, and single dosing. I have never NOT single dosed.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

grufromtheloo (original poster)

#18: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) »

I have tried measuring my retention without wasting beans and it's quite small < 0.25g. Interesting to hear everyone's experiences with the vario. I have pre-ground some of my my press coffee so I can run a few shots without touching grind settings to see how it goes.

If anyone has a theory why the arm-cam-burr holder setup of the vario takes a while to "settle in" to a setting I am all ears. :)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#19: Post by baldheadracing »

bakafish wrote:I cut a name card and pasted it on one of the sweepers to solve this problem.
cccpu wrote:Is there a way to show us visually?
I tried it, but with a bit of plastic. After three weeks, no donut formed. (As an aside, the Forte upper grind chamber's threads need careful cleaning before re-assembly.)

I used a bit of a take-out condiment container. I set the bit in so that it curved around one of the sweeper arms (oriented to not be a scoop). To get the shape about right, I used marker on the upper burr carrier to shape the plastic to scrape off the marker. Pulse the grinder, inspect, trim, and repeat as needed.

(In the pic, it looks like the plastic is rubbing against the outer wall of the grind chamber. However, that rubbing should have disintegrated the plastic long ago. My guess is a dam of grounds forms, pushing the plastic against the sweeper arm? Or maybe coffee oil is the lubricant? I will look again after a couple pounds have been ground.)

Also re-did the marker test on the burrs; went from no contact noise to full wipe of top and bottom burr in one micro-step. It's time for espresso! 8)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada