Baratza Vario Grinder Troubleshooting

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Cruizchiu

#1: Post by Cruizchiu »

Hi espresso fam. I've got a few issues with my grinder that I'm trying to troubleshoot and would love some help on.

Before I get into it, just want to confirm that I've reviewed the Baratza troubleshooting guides below over the years multiple times.
https://baratza.com/troubleshooting/

The issues:

1. Every time I clean my grinder (with or without taking the burrs out), I NEED to do a full reset on burr touch time and/or grind nearly a full bag of beans until it is working properly again.

2. My grinder has increased in vibration and begun spinning/dancing on the countertop a lot more

3. Darker roasts never seen to be ground fine enough - I'm at nearly A-1 for some darker coffees to get the yield I expect (For context: I have an ECM Mechanika Slim V and a pavoni Europiccola)

I'd love any recommendations. Should I ditch the Vario and get a new grinder? Do I possibly just need new burrs?

Stereo Heathen

#2: Post by Stereo Heathen »

On #3 at least, adjusting the primary calibration should be able to get you to burr touch at least halfway up the coarse adjustments (not that you'd want to, but it should be possible). Is that something you've tried at all?

Directions starting on page 2: https://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uplo ... al-new.pdf

Cruizchiu (original poster)

#3: Post by Cruizchiu (original poster) »

On #3 at least, adjusting the primary calibration should be able to get you to burr touch at least halfway up the coarse adjustments (not that you'd want to, but it should be possible). Is that something you've tried at all?
Yes, I've done this. I don't get the "chirping" noise anymore, which signaled to me something else is very wrong.

Baratza finally got back to me after a few follow-up emails. According to the video I sent of a wobble, I need a new belt. I decided to send it to them for repair instead of doing it myself just for time-sake.

It leaves room for me to perfect my hand-grinding pour-over skills!

mynameisroz

#4: Post by mynameisroz »

If you have an older Vario, have them update it with the Forte parts since they're handling the repair anyway.

Concentration

#5: Post by Concentration »

will Baratza update a Vario W to a Forte? The Forte has a different motor and adjustment parts, etc.

That would be cool. I guess i'll ask them.

*sigh*

#6: Post by *sigh* replying to Concentration »

They won't upgrade completely to a forte, but the new vario grind chamber is metal like the forte and they have upgraded burr carriers too. They'll do it all as part of the flat rate repair, or you can buy the parts if you contact them.