Baratza Vario Grinder - First Look - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Lockman

#91: Post by Lockman »

Bummer... :x
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

Endo

#92: Post by Endo »

Confucius say: "If you have less teeth and eat your food fast....you will get indigestion." :lol:

Hope it's just an issue with this one grinder. We really DO need a grinder option like the Vario.
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#93: Post by IMAWriter replying to Endo »

Funny thing, for ME, I could live without the various grind options (drip/press, etc) assuming the espresso grind was of high quality. Sort of a less imposing Mazzer Mini-E, at nearly half the price. I could live with that.

Lockman

#94: Post by Lockman »

I second that one Robert and also add the ability to dose into PF as an asset to me anyway.

I also noticed that the shade of the puck was quite different between the 2 grinders. Seems like its getting better extraction if they were pulled from the same machine... :|
LMWDP #226.

HB
Admin

#95: Post by HB »

Lockman wrote:I also noticed that the shade of the puck was quite different between the 2 grinders.
Yes, because one was dry and the other was not. ;-)
shadowfax wrote:I wanted to double check my sanity, so I pulled a Robur puck out of the knockbox. It's a bit drier, but I think it's a good demonstration of the contrast between the two in terms of visual consistency.
Dan Kehn

Lockman

#96: Post by Lockman »

oh! :oops:

Thanks Dan.
LMWDP #226.

DennisS

#97: Post by DennisS »

what is 'SO espresso' ?
ds

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#98: Post by HB »

SO espresso = single origin espresso = not a blend.
Dan Kehn

shadowfax (original poster)

#99: Post by shadowfax (original poster) »

Really? I thought it was "coffee for your wife/girlfriend." Snap! Time to go edit all my posts... :lol:

But seriously, what Dan said, and I'd add for relevancy to this topic that single origin coffees generally have less taste balance or body than a professional espresso blend, because it's rare to find coffees that have both of those traits in and of themselves (as espresso). In the case of the above, the Sidamo was a superb and super-bright coffee, and it should come off as a nice spicy or berry fruitiness, but if your grinder isn't up to the task, or your brewing parameters are all wrong, it can come off as battery acid, sour salt, etc.

There's a whole lot more to say about that, but if you want to do further research it's probably best to use the search feature of the forum; I think you'll find a lot on the topic.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Lockman

#100: Post by Lockman »

DennisS wrote:what is 'SO espresso' ?
ds
At least it isn't SO SO espresso. :|

I think I will still wait on this grinder (since I already committed to one) and at very least it will do some of the tasks Big Max can't do as easily. Worst case will be to gift it to my Dad for permanent mocha pot duty. :(
LMWDP #226.