Baratza Vario grind calibration doesn't adjust

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
borisblank

#1: Post by borisblank »

I gave my Vario a long-overdue cleaning today, and after putting it back together, tried fiddling with the calibration using the hex wrench tool. Strangely, I couldn't get the tool to find its socket in the adjustment thru-hole housing. No matter what angle or x-y positioning I tried, it either spun against something flat or angled inwards too deep, once coming into contact with the underside of the spinning burrs and making a hell of a racket.

Is it possible that the adjustment set screw just rattled loose? I use the grinder for pourover, so it was most recently dialed back to give me a wide range of coarser grinds. The burrs were last calibrated just to not touch at 1-A.

I've never taken one apart before. Is that easy/recommended?

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

The Baratza site has repair videos, not a difficult teardown. If it an older unit, contact them about the updated adjustment lever. The early ones had a tendency to move out of position when moved, adjusted, or disassembled.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

borisblank wrote: Is it possible that the adjustment set screw just rattled loose?
sounds like it to me.. particularly since you stated burrs at 1A setting weren't even touching.

The screw is actually very small so you probably didn't even notice it in your one of your PO doses.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

I agree, sure sounds like the fine adjustment screw must have come all the way out. Give Baratza a call, their support is excellent. If that's the problem you don't need to disassemble the grinder, just need to put in a new screw, easily done with your 2mm adjustment tool.

Here's what it looks like:

Photo courtesy of Baratza - snipped from http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploa ... al-new.pdf
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

borisblank (original poster)

#5: Post by borisblank (original poster) »

Great - I'll give them a call, run with their recommendations and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions!

borisblank (original poster)

#6: Post by borisblank (original poster) »

Should've just contacted them directly, but thanks for the suggestion - they mailed me a new set screw for free, and I just installed it.

All set! :wink: