Baratza Vario, brew burr + metal grind chamber, espresso report

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nuketopia

#1: Post by nuketopia »

I just got my old (original run?) Vario back from Baratza service yesterday. They did a great job on it, fitting the all metal grind chamber and threaded burr carrier and installing the steel "brew grind" burrs.

I spent a little time carefully aligning the burr set with a whiteboard marker and shims until the burrs were as perfectly parallel as I can get them. (similar to the EK43 burr alignment process) Baratza just installs them as they do at the factory, but they don't (understandably) spend time tweeking them into perfect contact. I find this worthwhile.

So - why espresso on the brew burrs? Well, 'cause they're there and I can. People say, "it won't work".

After aligning, I am quite able to "choke" the espresso machine with a 20g dose of Metric Roaster's Quantum (medium roast blend). The range between choked and too fast is pretty narrow on the "fine" lever. Nonetheless, I did get it dialed in for 19.5g dose, 35g out in 28s. I also dialed in my Monolith conical for the same dose and run time, made a few on each, within 1/2g and 1/2 second of run time. Linea Mini is a very repeatable machine and I do absolutely everything by weight on the Acaia Lunar and time the pull as a QC measure.

Hmm.

So how do they compare?

I'd be happy being served either to be honest. I think the Mono-Con wins, but I wouldn't send the Vario cup back.

The Vario BG produced more of the nutty flavors, not quite as much of the brightness and clarity that the Mono-Con did. The Mono-Con really brought out the clean, distinct flavors and more sweetness and depth in the espresso. Also, who knows how it will be after several pounds of coffee, as these are literally, brand new burrs, vs. the Mono-Con that I've had for about 3 years. Maybe they'll season up differently, or not. No way to tell the future.

The other point about the Vario BG is it is pretty slow.

I would expect the Vario BG to be the winner over the Mono-Con for brew or press pot. I compared the grinds under a microscope at "brew" levels of coarseness and there are significantly fewer fines at coarse settings, as many have reported.

If you're willing to invest some time into burr alignment, a Forte BG or the Vario BG with metal grind chamber would be OK for someone who wants a brew grinder that can do a good espresso on occasion. It will work, but if espresso is your main game, then a purpose-built espresso grinder would be better choice.

iBrew

#2: Post by iBrew »

You can replace the plastic chamber in the Vario with the metal Forte ones? :shock: what's the process like?

Advertisement
nuketopia (original poster)

#3: Post by nuketopia (original poster) replying to iBrew »

I didn't do it. I sent my very worn out, early Vario in for repair at Baratza. They did it. :)

false1001

#4: Post by false1001 »

Can you post a picture of your new metal burr carriers?

z400central

#5: Post by z400central »

Oh..! Didn't know this was possible. Pricing?

#6: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Flat rate repair charge, as on the Baratza web site. :)

CyrusDrMatt

#7: Post by CyrusDrMatt »

Is there any link or video for how to align/calibrate the burrs on Vario to share please? I just recently bought Vario W with pre-installed steel burrs from Baratza. I tried to calibrate it using Baratza instruction but something might be still wrong with it. My Lido 3 is far better than Vario, I thought maybe it is not aligned or needs more time for seasoning. Any suggestions or input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

#8: Post by nuketopia (original poster) replying to CyrusDrMatt »

Pretty much, just open it up, remove the upper burr carrier, cleaning everything neatly. Then use a whiteboard marker to mark the edges of the burr. Put it back together, at full coarse, run it and adjust the setting until the burrs just barely touch and set it back to full coarse. Take it apart and see where it wiped off the marker. Shim the opposite side with aluminum foil or the like. Repeat until the contact point goes all the way around.

Here's a page with the process for the EK43 and the Vario (at the bottom).

http://coffeenavigated.net/grinder/

CyrusDrMatt

#9: Post by CyrusDrMatt replying to nuketopia »

Thanks a lot for info, very helpful.
one more question please, is the burr alignment different from calibration that Baratza says to do at 2Q? thanks.

#10: Post by nuketopia (original poster) replying to CyrusDrMatt »

Yes, the "calibration" adjusts the point that the burrs touch each other as you set the levers, which sets how far apart they are.

The alignment is making the burrs as parallel to each other as possible.