Baratza Vario bad axis alignment (video) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mianor

#11: Post by mianor »

Baratza do send international. They have the updated all metal grind chamber in stock, even if they don't list them online. Actually, I recently ordered some spare parts for my 9 year old Vario and they added the grind chamber to my order for free. That's customer service for you.

I would recommend sending them a short email, explaining your problem. I am confident that they will be able to help you.

TheN5OfOntario

#12: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

Just ordered the parts to convert my Vario. $50 for the upper burr carrier, grind chamber, and motor plate. $16 to ship to Canada. We'll see got it goes :)

pcrussell50

#13: Post by pcrussell50 »

mianor wrote:Baratza do send international. They have the updated all metal grind chamber in stock, even if they don't list them online. Actually, I recently ordered some spare parts for my 9 year old Vario and they added the grind chamber to my order for free. That's customer service for you.

I would recommend sending them a short email, explaining your problem. I am confident that they will be able to help you.
As long as you have gone to that trouble, you are putting yourself in position to try this: I'd consider this a must read: Baratza Vario Super Alignment owner experience

-Peter
LMWDP #553

TheN5OfOntario

#14: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

I have a similarly wobbly lower burr carrier. I got the forte parts in and it's still wobbly like that. I think I'll order the LBC and see if that makes a difference...

pmark (original poster)

#15: Post by pmark (original poster) replying to TheN5OfOntario »

Please report back if it works. I suspect that the problem could come from the bushings too (in my case from the belt being too tight at some point, causing the bushings to wear in a diagonal pattern, but I'm not sure about this theory)
But for the moment my grinder is still broken. I'll report back when I finally order the parts from Baratza.

pcrussell50

#16: Post by pcrussell50 »

This will be of little help in tracking down the cause, but my old Vario, the one Jake aligned in the "super alignment" thread, was ten years old, one of the first Varios made and sold, and still working great when I sent it off to Jake. So, just a data point that this "wobble" problem is not necessarily endemic to all Varios.

Of extra note, over the ten years, it had never been apart or back to Baratza for any servicing. The only thing I ever did to it was to periodically replace the lever "clicker-shims" if they wore out or shifted, and later on, I flipped the rubber flapper up out of the way for better single dosing. And that's it. It had the same original drive belt and from back in the day, the original plastic drive pinion gear on the motor shaft.

Despite it's being plastic, it has to have been one of the most durable appliances I've ever owned or even heard of.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

TheN5OfOntario

#17: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

On the wobble note: it's visible in slow mo video like OP's, but as far as bushings go, I have a brand new forte grind chamber and motor plate so I should be able to rule out any wear to those components :) (fingers crossed)

TheN5OfOntario

#18: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

For reference, here is my lbc wobble. I'm going to send this to Baratza this morning and see what they say. I have done the forte conversion, and was given a new grind chamber and motor plate, so the bushings should be fine...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xva89omczqriw ... 1.MOV?dl=0

Jake_G
Team HB

#19: Post by Jake_G »

Yeah, that appears to be bent burr carrier #2.

For what it's worth, I've been up close and personal with a small handful of these and haven't seem one like that yet. They've all had 3 - 5 microns of axial TIR when measured with a dial indicator and spin true when rotating with no visual indication of any substantial radial run out.

You need a new lower burr carrier. The question is why...

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

TheN5OfOntario

#20: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

And once I get that, I can definitively rule out all parts, and any alignment issues will be soley and completely my fault :)