Baratza single dose hopper

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jgood

#1: Post by jgood »

Baratza has come out with a single dose hopper. It doesn't seem to have any system to weigh down the beans like the Orphan hoppers. I usually dose the grinder for the day's expected use so this is an easy way to try single dosing. I ordered one and will report back.

bas

#2: Post by bas »

I installed one last week. It is just a small hopper but it works quite well and look and feel is okay. The lid can be used to way your beans. I use it for pour-over only (steel burrs). Rentention with course grind is very low and too much popcorning is prevented Overall I am happy with it.

jgood (original poster)

#3: Post by jgood (original poster) »

Good to hear!

raimo_81

#4: Post by raimo_81 »

I've just ordered a 3D printed hopper for the Vario. Has an interesting auger setup to feed the beans at an acceptable rate into the burr chamber to reduce popcorning. The pics on the site are currently for a Sette but they will be updating the photos shortly.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/9493485 ... or-baratza

jgood (original poster)

#5: Post by jgood (original poster) »

After using the Baratza single dosing hopper for a few days here are my thoughts. Basically the inside of the hopper looks the same as the regular hopper with the little "anti kickback" disk on three little legs -- so no weight possible as the OE hoppers have. Retention in the grinder seems minimal, but I do run it until empty and rock it a bit to clear the grounds. I previously removed the portafilter holder so as to give the ground beans a clearer path and to make room for the OE portafilter funnel that I use. The grind seems to require a slight adjustment, I assume because there is no pressure from the quantity of beans in the hopper. All in all it's a reasonable way to try single dosing, although one could do it with the regular hopper, and I'm not sure the result would be much different, but for $24 why not?

icowrich

#6: Post by icowrich »

You can just use the lid of the hopper as a bellows by moving it up and down after grinding.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane »

We like ours.