Baratza Sette Sound Proofing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chasfs

#1: Post by chasfs »

Here's an easy mod to help tame the raspiness of the Sette 270.

I like the espresso but found the noise from the Sette to be very irritating. So i took some left over sound deadener from a car project, cut to fit the Sette and installed into the inside of the grinder. It's still loud but not as annoying.

Baratza could make a kit with pre-cut self adhesive pieces...

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

The good news is the noise only lasts 4 seconds.

janpijpelink

#3: Post by janpijpelink »

My Sette takes 4.40 seconds to fill my portafilter. I cannot see how this short time gets irritating.

MB

#4: Post by MB »

Yet, it's the most frequent complaint I see about the grinder.
LMWDP #472

janpijpelink

#5: Post by janpijpelink »

I guess pulling a shot at 24 seconds makes a lot more noise than a 4 seconds grind, but that is just me.

Spitz.me

#6: Post by Spitz.me »

I have had a Settle since its launch. Since then, I've actually had 3 different ones due to failure. The earlier versions are definitely louder than the most recent version I got. Every version, however, never ground 18g in less than about 10 seconds. When people are around, 10 seconds seems like an eternity when it's absolutely annoyingly loud.

I get the anecdote. It's a very short time to deal with the noise. This is why it's an annoyance instead of unbearable.

Glad the mod helped a bit. It's a great grinder!
LMWDP #670

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Maybe you could put it a container over it while grinding to deaden the noise like they do with the blenders at Jamba Juice.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

chasfs (original poster)

#8: Post by chasfs (original poster) »

I single dose about 21.8 grams. I set the Sette timer at 6.6 seconds and grind into my bottomless portafilter. This is good for about half of the dose. I tamp that lightly and then grind the remainder for another 6.6 seconds. Usually no beans are left for the last half second or so. I then tamp the remainder normally and make espresso. This consistently gives me good results with no gushers or spray. The sound deadening mod makes a noticable improvement.

pcrussell50

#9: Post by pcrussell50 »

I went straight to the jugular on my Vario... I plastered the OUTside of it in Dynamat. Yes, it's uglier now. But quieter for sure.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo replying to pcrussell50 »

pix or it didnt happen :P
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra