Baratza Sette noise

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
itamar123

#1: Post by itamar123 »

Hi,

I sent an email to Baratza support, but I'm too curious to understand what is the problem.
The Sette make very loud noise, much more than regular, vibrate and does not really grind.

Here is a video describing it:
Thanks for any comments!

Itamar.

boren

#2: Post by boren »

How old is your Sette? Most likely the gearbox is shot. It was a common issue prior to the 270Wi, but I believe Baratza updated later batches of the 270 to also use the new gearbox.

itamar123 (original poster)

#3: Post by itamar123 (original poster) »

Bought almost 4 years ago...used it to for 6 months and bought a Ceado, after a month or two with both the Sette shut down..
Its been around 3 years that I didn't touch it since it has this issue.

I suspect its the gear box because there is power and the motor is definitely running.

Bluenoser

#4: Post by Bluenoser »

The loud noise in the Sette is mostly the meshing (poorly) of the plastic gears.. I'm not sure if there was ever a significant change in that part of the design. The loud noise is indicative of the loads on the gears.. which eventually cause failure. The gear train is not expensive to buy and replace yourself.

#5: Post by itamar123 (original poster) replying to Bluenoser »

Yes, I just saw few YT videos and it seems that the gearbox is the faulty. I already found EU dealer that will send me the gearbox. I will wait for another confirm from Baratza.

Thanks!

boren

#6: Post by boren »

If the grinder is 4 years old then for sure it uses the old gearbox. The new one is much better. My 2 year old Sette 270Wi grinds about 5 shots a day and shows no signs of wear. If the gearbox eventually dies I'll just replace it with a new one. They're cheap and are supposed to be relatively easy to install.

To me the Sette was well worth the "risk". I had no reliability issues whatsoever and in terms of functionality I can't think of any other grinder in this price range (or even for twice the money) which would better fit my preferences.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

Yup, the gearbox. Baratza replaced mine for free post-warranty.

#8: Post by itamar123 (original poster) »

I will give it a try, but I bought it from an EU vendor and if I remember correctly when I contacted them he says he must get the grinder to diagnose it. I left it behind since I got a Ceado and told my self once a month to fix it but never arrive it.

Samcanadian

#9: Post by Samcanadian »

My grinder, after 3 years (Almost on the nose), finally started making this same noise. I sent an email to Baratza and within a day they had shipped me out a free replacement. Incredible customer service, yet again.

Stinndler

#10: Post by Stinndler »

I have had my 270 for almost a year now and I worry about this all the time, I bought it new a year ago so I'm hoping it was new stock with new gear box and will last, but I am very afraid one morning there will be no espresso and I will be sad.
Good luck with the fix!