Baratza Sette Macro Ring Skips Steps - normal?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Parm

#1: Post by Parm »

Hey all!

I've got a new Baratza Sette 270wi and it has been doing great so far. When playing with the macro adjustment, I've noticed that it seems to "click" or lock-in every two steps. This makes it really easy to go from 3 to 5 to 7, etc., but seems quite challenging to land on the even numbers. Is this the same way everyone's grinder works or is there some issue I'm not realizing? If you want to grind on a 4, do you just apply the slightest turning pressure and let it sort of "float" between the click at 3 and 5? Or is the micro adjustment ring meant to compensate for the middle step where a coarse 5 is the same as a fine 3, etc.?

Any help would be great :D

UPDATE: In case anyone has this issues and finds this thread down the road - I ended up getting the unit exchanged and can confirm that my previous unit was defective. The new unit accurately clicks on each step and I'm really glad I swapped it out. Another poster confirmed that Baratza helped them with their unit, so that may be an avenue to pursue if you're having this same problem and can't get support from the retailer you purchased from.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Weird! Mine clicks on each step. I do notice that there seems to be a slight difference in sound of the clicks every other step; it's hardly noticeable unless one listens carefully. I've no explanation for this. I do know, however, how the thing works, as I had to replace the entire grinding mechanism, including the parts that go "click". If you drop the grinding assembly out of the machine and look up from below, you should see two little ball bearings 180 degrees apart. They are in little holders and are spring-loaded. These are the things that click into place on the teeth of the macro ring on the grinding assembly. Perhaps one is missing? I can't imagine how this would make your machine do what it's doing, but it's all I can think of.

Parm (original poster)

#3: Post by Parm (original poster) replying to Nunas »

I think you might be right about the ball bearings. They are both there, but one is different than the other and seems pressed into the housing. I'm wondering if it's impacting the ring being able to lock in on the even settings.

Here's a video showing what I mean: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyqp8rgqdzbo4 ... 6.MOV?dl=0. You'll notice that the grinder easily jumps two steps at a time, and only when I'm applying the perfect pressure will it sorta "hover" in between two steps. I also get zero sounds on the even steps, with only the odd steps giving the deep click noise.

vze26m98

#4: Post by vze26m98 »

I had this problem. I contacted Baratza about it and they sent me a replacement.

HedonisticBeans

#5: Post by HedonisticBeans »

I had this problem from day one.
I wish I did something about it.

With my machine, I'll tell the tactile click every other number.
Moving to two - yes.
Three, No.
Four, yes.

Also, the clicks don't align with the numbers.
So, 6 is actually 5.
Because 1 sits under two on the dial.

Parm (original poster)

#6: Post by Parm (original poster) »

UPDATE: In case anyone has this issues and finds this thread down the road - I ended up getting the unit exchanged and can confirm that my previous unit was defective. The new unit accurately clicks on each step and I'm really glad I swapped it out. Another poster confirmed that Baratza helped them with their unit, so that may be an avenue to pursue if you're having this same problem and can't get support from the retailer you purchased from.