Baratza Sette - End User Reports

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Calendar

#1: Post by Calendar »

With Settes arriving in consumers hands this week, and the other thread running 100 pages, I thought a thread for retail, consumer experiences might be in order.

My 270w arrived a few hours ago. OK, maybe 1 hour.

The first thing I noticed is it didn't ship with the re-designed forks. But it did have the re-designed flange replacing the original hook design. I was immediately concerned because I intend to push the limits of recommended portafilter size with a 49mm pre-Milenium La Pavoni.

I adjusted the flange using the instructional video posted in the other thread. The 49mm stock Pavoni filter fits well and stable in the fork/flange assembly.

I was concerned if the width of the forks would be too wide, but they are not. I think I'm good without the re-designed forks But the small portafilter doesn't sit directly under the chute. As you can see from the picture, the center of the chute is close to the handle end of the portafilter. This results in some waste in my early runs. But the waste is very, very small, and a small half-funnel could easily be rigged to eliminate it, which I will likely do.

I programmed the preset for 14 grams. The first run dropped 15.2 into the portafilter. But the machine seemed to have quickly learned and I got 14.2 on the second and third runs.

I haven't perfectly dialed it in yet, but I do grind very fine for the Pavoni and I've already pulled a shot that was too tight, so the machine will not need to be shimmed.

The first shot tasted great, and is definitely an upgrade from my Preciso!

Can't wait to play with it some more, but I'm headed out of town for a few days and will be stuck in hotel with a charbucks. :cry:

MikFlores300

#2: Post by MikFlores300 »

Mine arrives tomorrow. I wonder if it has the updated forks or not. It's interesting yours at least came with the updated hook/flange.

jja619

#3: Post by jja619 »

I just picked mine up earlier today! I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet, but found my general espresso range.

I'm going to try to dial in my pour over range over the next few mornings.

I don't think mine shipped with the new flange, but I'll dig through the packaging when I get back home again. I got just the 270, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Have you had issues with all of the grinds ending up in the basket? It seems like there was some static repulsion with the last couple of grams as they ended up all over the place.

I'm so glad to be moving on from hand grinding (Lido 3) for my espresso!

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

The eight production 270Ws I received didn't have the new fork covers either, contacted them and have them on the way. Contact support@baratza.com and they'll send you the new ones. I have them replaced on the pre-production unit I have and works MUCH better for nekkid PFs I was attempting to use with the 270W.
Mike McGinness

andrewb

#5: Post by andrewb »

Just got mine an hour or so ago! I also had the new portafilter flange, but the originally pictured forks. Not a problem for my Rocket's portafilter so far, haven't played too much as am waiting for my machine to warm off (why did I even turn it off this morning?). Also haven't bothered adjust flange at all, I think it looks good.

Initial impression, super fluffy even grinds compared to my Mazzer Mini. Packaging and start up guide are easy and well put together, Baratza seems to have an eye for detail. Dialed in 18g and got 18.2g. More to come. Hope the caffeine doesn't keep me up all night.

floydo

#6: Post by floydo »

Compass Coffee wrote:The eight production 270Ws I received didn't have the new fork covers either, contacted them and have them on the way. Contact support@baratza.com and they'll send you the new ones. I have them replaced on the pre-production unit I have and works MUCH better for nekkid PFs I was attempting to use with the 270W.
Yes, they will send them and the washer kit out if you don't have those. You can take a knife and quicky slice the heat shrink stuff, peeled it off, then shove on the new rubber parts. I commented on the looong thread also that you can rotate the new rubber and adjust or raise the portafilter distance from the ring/chute above, in my case, 25mm to 20 (new pieces in two orientations)....Pretty close...

ebola5114

#7: Post by ebola5114 »

Months wainting this thread, sit down and enjoy
Hope to get one next year (3rd countries problems...)

jja619

#8: Post by jja619 »

I used it for pour over this morning and was fairly surprised. It did not produce many fines as evidenced by the lack of "sludge" at the top of my V60 bed after the draw down. It did seem less consistent than my LIDO 3 as expected but still serviceable. I still need to dial it in more, but I'm fairly happy with the results thus far. =)

Headala

#9: Post by Headala »

My Sette W arrived to my house in Florida an hour ago...says my wife. I'm in O'Hare, about to board a flight for 9 days in China. :x

Spitz.me

#10: Post by Spitz.me »

I'll be getting mine tomorrow. I can't wait. I am very tired of my single dosing K10 process and 3K for a Monolith is beyond my financial reach. According to Jim's reports, my espresso tastes align perfectly with where this grinder shines. PUMPED :lol:
LMWDP #670