Baratza Sette - End User Reports - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jja619

#21: Post by jja619 »

ChiRho wrote:Could you expand a bit on why you expected the Sette to be less consistent than your Lido 3?
Thx,
Chris
The LIDO grinders have a reputation for their grind quality at all ranges. Early reports of the Sette were that it's great for espresso, but in the drip and higher range, it's not quite ideal. This seems to be about on point with what I've observed so far. The grind seems less consistent with more fines than the LIDO. Not like a full on sludge layer, but definitely more.

There's also grind retention in the espresso range, so it might not be the best for single dosers like myself.

cmin

#22: Post by cmin »

Looking forward to more user reviews as the Sette has my attention.
Niloch wrote: Question on the new Sette - I started at a grind setting of 5 and nothing came out, move up to 7 and it was about a 30-40 second shot, at 9 I seem to be pulling a 25 second shot - is this to be expected for the Gaggia with this Grinder? or could my pressure be off given I bought the Gaggia used?

Looking forward to the bluetooth features!
On the older Gaggia Classic, if I recall people adjusted opv down as it came set to high.

Spitz.me

#23: Post by Spitz.me »

jja619 wrote:...There's also grind retention in the espresso range, so it might not be the best for single dosers like myself.
I'm getting mine today so I'll be able to find out for myself. But, this comment seems out of line with almost every piece of feedback on using the Sette as a single doser. Strange conclusion/finding.
LMWDP #670

jja619

#24: Post by jja619 replying to Spitz.me »

I pre-weigh 20 g doses. Yesterday, after letting it run a few extra seconds and giving it some thumps on the hopper, I got 19.5 g out. This morning I got 19.1 with different beans.

When I used it later that morning for pour over, I put 35 g in and got 35.9 g out.

It'd be nice not not need RDT, but maybe i'll try that tomorrow.

Or set the grind setting coarser after the initial grind to see if that releases whatever is stuck.

Compass Coffee

#25: Post by Compass Coffee replying to jja619 »

Coffee grinding and small amount of static caused retention is a fact of life with any and all grinders I know of even the Monoliths, NS Clima Pro, EK43, Bunnzilla whatever (though less than any others I know of). Straight through grinding static caused retention is far FAR less than typical grinders with a horizontal feed path from burrs to exit yet without RDT it will be there. Period.
Mike McGinness

Unrooted

#26: Post by Unrooted »

Is the 270 (not the 270w) version available yet? No one appears to have them in stock yet.

jja619

#27: Post by jja619 »

Compass Coffee wrote:Coffee grinding and small amount of static caused retention is a fact of life with any and all grinders I know of even the Monoliths, NS Clima Pro, EK43, Bunnzilla whatever (though less than any others I know of). Straight through grinding static caused retention is far FAR less than typical grinders with a horizontal feed path from burrs to exit yet without RDT it will be there. Period.
I figured as much. I was just hopeful. And spoiled by my Lido 3 which has minimal retention with a few knocks.
Unrooted wrote:Is the 270 (not the 270w) version available yet? No one appears to have them in stock yet.
I have the 270 version. My local shop got a case (2) of each model.

Spitz.me

#28: Post by Spitz.me »

My comment stems from the fact that 0.5g is pretty significant static retention. Isn't it? Heck cleaning out my K10 before a session leads to an amount of grinds that barely register on the scale.
LMWDP #670

Almico

#29: Post by Almico »

Spitz.me wrote:My comment stems from the fact that 0.5g is pretty significant static retention. Isn't it? Heck cleaning out my K10 before a session leads to an amount of friends that barely register on the scale.
I get at least that much if not more from my Lido II. I have have the glass jar.

day

#30: Post by day »

ChiRho wrote:Could you expand a bit on why you expected the Sette to be less consistent than your Lido 3?
Thx,
Chris
Yea, this was confusing to me. Who was expecting the Lido3 to outperform and r U saying it is?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone