Baratza Sette: Did it sound WAY more quiet than the Vario?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

Sorry about starting a new thread. Feel free to move it if I did wrong.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a video of the Sette in action, grinding into a portafilter.
Was it my imagination or maybe sound editing, but was that grinder WAY WAY more quieter than the Vario?
If anyone has the link to this video, please post again as I can't locate it.

On a side note;
Damn... this always happens to me. I have been drooling over the Vario and I been saving my money for quite some time now.
I finally got enough money for a new Vario. I was ready to call one of our sponsors to place the order. And what happens?? ; AUGH..News of a new Baratza (Sette) release. However with my luck, I need to wait till summer for its release and then wait again until real users have tested it and given their reviews. I can't decide to give into my temptation and order the Vario or wait... wait.... wait... wait... Life is not fair hahaha

Séb

#2: Post by Séb »

I also did notice that. I'd like to see a video without any music or surrounding noise to see how quiet it is really. I found my Forte to be quite louder from what i have seen in that same video. We will know for sure in just few days after the SCAA.

Advertisement
bwstahnke

#3: Post by bwstahnke »

Here is a video that gives a good idea of the sound.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Mark Prince said it was louder than his Vario:
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Headala

#5: Post by Headala replying to jbviau »

LOL he called the grind "flufftastic" :D

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

I also received an evaluation unit from Baratza and confirm it's louder and higher pitched than the Vario. I'll post a side-by-side video of them this weekend.
Dan Kehn

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

combination of universal motor and reduction gears... not the best sounding grinder but hey if the grounds are "amazeballs" and "flufftastic" we've got ourselves a winner :)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Advertisement
BKSinAZ (original poster)

#8: Post by BKSinAZ (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies. So do I wait?

mauijer

#9: Post by mauijer »

weebit_nutty wrote:combination of universal motor and reduction gears... not the best sounding grinder but hey if the grounds are "amazeballs" and "flufftastic" we've got ourselves a winner :)
Lol. Agreed
BKSinAZ wrote:Thanks for all the replies. So do I wait?
If you look at some of the other sette threads you'll hear varying opinions and speculations. All in all, you've already stated it well
BKSinAZ wrote: I need to wait till summer for its release and then wait again until real users have tested it and given their reviews.
Now keep in mind the Sette is conical and the vario is flat burr which might affect your decision. The sette is priced quite well; if you buy a refurbish vario you might have enough money left over to start saving for the sette. :P

Finally, I see you're in Tucson. We had a good size turn out in Tucson recently so keep your eyes peeled for more Arizona meetup: decent amount of gear to try out at these events including varios. Or if you find yourself in Phoenix I'd be happy to let you try out my Vario-W.

malling

#10: Post by malling »

jbviau wrote:Mark Prince said it was louder than his Vario:
Is that even possible :lol:

But what has he been drinking; AMAZEBALLS, flufftastic, Sexy, are we sure it's a grinder he is talking about??? :mrgreen: