Baratza Sette: Did it sound WAY more quiet than the Vario? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BKSinAZ (original poster)

#11: Post by BKSinAZ (original poster) »

mauijer wrote: Now keep in mind the Sette is conical and the vario is flat burr which might affect your decision. The sette is priced quite well; if you buy a refurbish vario you might have enough money left over to start saving for the sette. :P

Finally, I see you're in Tucson. We had a good size turn out in Tucson recently so keep your eyes peeled for more Arizona meetup: decent amount of gear to try out at these events including varios. Or if you find yourself in Phoenix I'd be happy to let you try out my Vario-W.
I don't know the merits of flat vs. Conical burrs to make my decision if I should wait.

Also, if there is a Tucson or Pinetop Az. Meetup, like to be informed.

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

HB wrote:I also received an evaluation unit from Baratza and confirm it's louder and higher pitched than the Vario. I'll post a side-by-side video of them this weekend.
Here you go:
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#13: Post by Intrepid510 »

Thanks Dan, nice to see the size comparison too.

idrinkjetfuel

#14: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

Nice job Dan. My Vario USED to sound like that, until I changed over to steel burrs for pourover duty.

BKSinAZ (original poster)

#15: Post by BKSinAZ (original poster) »

Thank you for the video. Full, they sound about the same decibels.

How tall is the sette and the vario to the top of hopper?

weebit_nutty

#16: Post by weebit_nutty »

idrinkjetfuel wrote:Nice job Dan. My Vario USED to sound like that, until I changed over to steel burrs for pourover duty.
Was it because the burrs were new or because the burrs were steel? Back when I swapped from ceramic burrs on my Forte to steel ones (both were new), I don't recall any noticeable increase in noise level.

BTW thank you Dan great video always appreciate your efforts
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

idrinkjetfuel

#17: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

weebit_nutty wrote:Was it because the burrs were new or because the burrs were steel? Back when I swapped from ceramic burrs on my Forte to steel ones (both were new), I don't recall any noticeable increase in noise level
I don't believe it is neccessarily louder, but it now has a deeper tone.

Advertisement
weebit_nutty

#18: Post by weebit_nutty »

Most of the time, the roast consistency is really what dictates how the grind sounds. Dark roasts always produces quiet and smooth running grinding. Light roast? Always noticeably louder--partly for the reason of the extra strain on the motor and gears to get them broken down. And a loaded hopper is also affects the noise. Single dosing seems to always be slightly louder since the broken particles tend to bounce around more.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Beezer

#19: Post by Beezer »

The pitch and perceived loudness of my Vario changed noticeably when I switched to steel burrs. It also takes longer to grind a given dose. The flavors do seem better, though.

It seemed like the Sette was noticeably louder and higher pitched than the Vario, but grinds faster. Interesting.
Lock and load!

Not2Bitter

#20: Post by Not2Bitter »

That's very loud for an empty grinder, my e37s and most grinders I've heard are very quiet while empty and sound similar to the vario(tho mostly metal commercial grinders seem even quieter)

I wonder if that noise is coming from the mechanism the say actively clears the grounds from above and below the burrs(at least that's the description I read)