Baratza Sette 30/270 drivetrain grease recommendation

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
alia176

#1: Post by alia176 »

Hello and Merry xmas to everyone! I have a Sette 30 that was experiencing the typical loud grinding/crunchy sounds so I took it apart and discovered few things. The motor shaft sprocket which is essentially the pinion gear has worn down quite a bit for a grinder that's been used daily for less than two years. The smaller bearing cage was also broken but the larger bearing cage on the opposite side was fine.

The thing that interested me the most is the type of grease that was used. It wasn't evenly distributed and seemed to have collected at one spot and perhaps ran the pinion and ring a tad dry. I have several types of grease in the garage, including Moly fortified for high "tackiness". However, they're for automotive and not sure if applicable in this instance.

Baratza sent me a replacement drivetrain and I'm wondering if I should take it apart and replace the grease or at the very least, distribute it more evenly, if needed. Seems like both gears are made out of non composite material, not sure exactly if they're alum or not.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

karamba

#2: Post by karamba »

Just order a new gearbox from Barazza, it costs $40 https://www.baratza.com/shop/gearbox-kit
Kudos to Barazza for not setting the price to $39.99 in order to make us look like fools. Not something I see often these days.

alia176 (original poster)

#3: Post by alia176 (original poster) »

copy/paste from the last paragraph
Baratza sent me a replacement drivetrain and I'm wondering if I should take it apart and replace the grease or at the very least, distribute it more evenly, if needed.

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

White lithium grease should be fine for this application.

alia176 (original poster)

#5: Post by alia176 (original poster) replying to lancealot »

The factory grease does feel thicker than the White lithium so I might go that direction, thank you!

mb1

#6: Post by mb1 »

Well here's what the "How To: Replace Sette Gearbox" pdf says:
Some parts of this assembly come pre-lubricated with a food-safe lubricant. Take care
not to get these parts dirty.
I think that I would not use lithium grease.

Bluenoser

#7: Post by Bluenoser »

I doubt additional grease is going to significantly increase it life. It is under much strain and will need to be replaced every few years.

boren

#8: Post by boren »

Has anyone verified with Baratza what specific grease is recommended? I have Haynes silicone grease and OKS 1110. Would either of them be suitable for this purpose?