Baratza Sette 270Wi reveal at Expo '18, booth 2219

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
3cordcreations

#1: Post by 3cordcreations »

Anyone else see this? Interesting.
I want to see a more robust standard 270, maybe next....
Baratza wrote:The 270Wi is a 270W further refined with over 32 separate mechanical, electrical and software improvements that allow it to shine in an imperfect world, while at the same time making it more user friendly. By filtering out the bumps, jolts or vibrations that may come from heavy footsteps, door closures or rowdy apartment mates, the Wi delivers the user, better accuracy and repeatability. The intelligent logic utilizes historic data and grinding speed to automatically adjust the stop point to deliver the desired grind weight, even when making changes to the beans, the grind or the dose.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

endurancematt

#2: Post by endurancematt »

It's on Baratza's site - https://www.baratza.com/grinder/sette-270wi/.

Looks like it might replace the 270W.

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Anybody know if Baratza will be offering an upgrade to those of us who have struggled with the original and often buggy 7-270W? I've had three of them and the one I've kept works great, but only most of the time. I bet I'm not the only one!

Abecker

#4: Post by Abecker »

Nunas wrote:Anybody know if Baratza will be offering an upgrade to those of us who have struggled with the original and often buggy 7-270W? I've had three of them and the one I've kept works great, but only most of the time. I bet I'm not the only one!
Per Baratza's website:
Recent versions of the Sette 270W are upward compatible to the Sette 270Wi, by purchasing and installing the new 270Wi Display panel and then updating the software via an Acaia App.

crzyworm

#5: Post by crzyworm »

Nunas wrote:Anybody know if Baratza will be offering an upgrade to those of us who have struggled with the original and often buggy 7-270W? I've had three of them and the one I've kept works great, but only most of the time. I bet I'm not the only one!
I just emailed them asking the same thing. I've had one replacement. Now I just put up with the random reboots, varying dosing. I regret spending the extra money on the W, as it only seems to make things more complicated especially when it under doses, and the App support has yet to improve and be useful.

Acaia needs to integrate the grinder and the new EKG+ kettle into their Acaia App. (Yet to figure out the real point to Brewbar/Brewmaster app) It should be, Open the App select v60,aeropress, etc. Hit start, grinder pumps out desired weight and sets the kettle to the desired temp, then kicks over to the preset timer for bloom, 1st pout, etc. It really shouldn't be hard.

Hoping Baratza will let us trade up, I'd even be willing to spend a little bit, I'm already $500.00 in, at least maybe with a small upcharge I'd be satisfied.

crzyworm

#6: Post by crzyworm »

Regarding "Recent versions of the Sette 270W are upward compatible to the Sette 270Wi, by purchasing and installing the new 270Wi Display panel and then updating the software via an Acaia App."

Maybe the electronics can be upgraded and help, but that doesn't make up all the "32 separate improvements". I'd bet one of the main issues of reliable grind weight has to do with the vibrations and jolts as stated in the first post.

"The 270Wi is a 270W further refined with over 32 separate mechanical, electrical and software improvements that allow it to shine in an imperfect world, while at the same time making it more user friendly. By filtering out the bumps, jolts or vibrations that may come from heavy footsteps, door closures or rowdy apartment mates, the Wi delivers the user, better accuracy and repeatability. The intelligent logic utilizes historic data and grinding speed to automatically adjust the stop point to deliver the desired grind weight, even when making changes to the beans, the grind or the dose."

goodboyr

#7: Post by goodboyr »

I think they've changed their position on this based on the blog entry here.

https://www.baratza.com/can-convert-sette-270w-270wi/

It sounds like anybody with a 270w can update, and it will be as good but likely better than before the update and that how much better depends on how recent a 270w you have. Since it will only be 30$ to update, it's well worth it. Hats off to Baratza for supporting 270w owners!

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

If I understand correctly, the retrofit is only the control panel and the associated software load. So, this upgrade kit is unlikely to have any affect on early 7-270Ws that were subject to errors due to "...bumps, jolts or vibrations that may come from heavy footsteps, door closures or rowdy apartment mates..." On the other hand, those of us with recent 7-270Ws already have the mods that solve this issue. Our problem is electronic (spontaneous booting mostly). Since that would be a function of the control panel and/or the software, this upgrade sounds like a possible fix. Yippee...uh...not so fast...an Apple smart phone is essential to make the upgrade; Android is not supported. I don't have an Apple phone.

Sigh, on account of the 7-270W, I've gone from being a big Baratza fan to a half step above 'meh'. Yes, the legendary Baratza service is prompt and parts are readily available. But, 1) the 7-270Ws they've been shipping were arguably never fully ready for market, 2) they know I still have a defective grinder despite the two exchange units they've sent me, yet Baratza has not reached out to me about this upgrade, and 3) they have elected to not support Android for this upgrade (which is the only phone I have). WTH, Android has long been the most popular smart phone operating system not just in the USA, but in the world. I question their judgment. Not happy! No kudos!

lagoon

#9: Post by lagoon »

You really shouldn't have too much trouble asking a friend or relative with an iPhone or iPad to help with a 10 minute software update surely?

It's not like the device is needed on a ongoing basis in order to operate the functions of the grinder. It's a one time update and then the app can be deleted from your friends device.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas »

You really shouldn't have too much trouble asking a friend or relative with an iPhone or iPad to help with a 10 minute software update surely?
I think you missed my main point and picked up only on my parenthetical comment. Of course I can ask around and probably find someone with an Apple phone who would not mind lending it. The point is, a caring organisation would not require this. Nearly everyone supports both Apple and Android, and if only one could be chosen, why not pick the more ubiquitous of the two.