Baratza Sette 270Wi reveal at Expo '18, booth 2219 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cmin

#11: Post by cmin »

lagoon wrote:You really shouldn't have too much trouble asking a friend or relative with an iPhone or iPad to help with a 10 minute software update surely?

It's not like the device is needed on a ongoing basis in order to operate the functions of the grinder. It's a one time update and then the app can be deleted from your friends device.
You'd be surprised at how many don't have/use iPhones or tablets in general anymore. Even my friends that were hardcore Apple peeps are all Android owners now. Think all my neighbors are the same, even their kids, all Android. Think my mother and sis and few people out of state are the only ones now with iPhones I know, mainly b/c on group text you can tell who has one with the iPhones "laughed" "emphasized" "liked" messages in text lol.

Even in cars/trucks, Android Auto integration is so much better than Carplay, Carplay is so awful, even Apple users, even on their own forums hate it and wonder why Android Auto is a league ahead.

Headala

#12: Post by Headala »

Nunas wrote:I think you missed my main point and picked up only on my parenthetical comment. Of course I can ask around and probably find someone with an Apple phone who would not mind lending it. The point is, a caring organisation would not require this. Nearly everyone supports both Apple and Android, and if only one could be chosen, why not pick the more ubiquitous of the two.
So are you talking about the Acaia app or some new app from Baratza?

goodboyr

#13: Post by goodboyr »

As described in the blog there's a new app coming that updates the display firmware.

lagoon

#14: Post by lagoon »

cmin wrote:You'd be surprised at how many don't have/use iPhones or tablets in general anymore.
Which country is this in? Where I live iPhones are very common.
Even in cars/trucks, Android Auto integration is so much better than Carplay, Carp
Sorry I don't get the car and truck reference at all in relation to this updater app.

cmin

#15: Post by cmin »

lagoon wrote:Which country is this in? Where I live iPhones are very common.

Sorry I don't get the car and truck reference at all in relation to this updater app.
USA, was mentioning Carplay/Android b/c like the other poster mentioned kinda ridiculous to disregard Android when Android OS far outnumbers iOS not just here in the states but world wide, Apple Carplay is so behind Android Auto, integration sucks, wonky and buggy/glitchy. Yet some automakers are offering Carplay only.

lagoon

#16: Post by lagoon »

Holy smokes, you clearly have very strong views on smartphones and cars!

Probably getting a bit off topic with the car stuff though. Good luck.

crzyworm

#17: Post by crzyworm »

Baratza is going to send me one out to give it a try. I had one of the first Sette 270w, which had nothing but issues when it came to weight based grinding. The replacement was way better but still not worth the price. Hoping this fixes a few of the quirks. Not sure where my unit falls with regard to the 40 mechanical changes but I'm sure it's at least 20 behind.

PandaSPUR

#18: Post by PandaSPUR replying to crzyworm »

Considering this as an upgrade to my Vario, looking forward to your impressions of it.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Nunas »

Baratza is going to send me one out to give it a try.
Please post a review! I live with my 7-270W as I really like the convenience and the quality of the grind, but it does have odd issues. I suspect a new control panel would fix these. I'd like to know how hard it is to make the switch (I'm assuming a piece of cake). Also, like to know your experience as to how the controls work, especially the ease with which to top up a short measure (mine once in a rare while comes up a few grams short).

achosid

#20: Post by achosid »

crzyworm wrote:Baratza is going to send me one out to give it a try. I had one of the first Sette 270w, which had nothing but issues when it came to weight based grinding. The replacement was way better but still not worth the price. Hoping this fixes a few of the quirks. Not sure where my unit falls with regard to the 40 mechanical changes but I'm sure it's at least 20 behind.
I had issues with my adjustment ring slipping when grinding. After not being able to figure out a solution, they're swapping my 270W for a 270Wi. Arrives Thursday!