Baratza Sette 270wi macro adjustment vibrates

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lorayd007

#1: Post by lorayd007 »

Hi

I have Baratza sette 270wi but when I grind I see that the macro adjustment vibrates too much!! what you think the reason of that ?

Videos include :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQYowDqO2A

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Always or just sometimes? I'm thinking hard beans if only sometimes.

Advertisement
lorayd007 (original poster)

#3: Post by lorayd007 (original poster) replying to Nunas »

its Always like that. I am using specialty coffee beans

jja619

#4: Post by jja619 »

Contact Baratza support. They're usually pretty helpful.

yoshiod9

#5: Post by yoshiod9 »

lorayd007 wrote:its Always like that. I am using specialty coffee beans
My 270 had some micro and macro movement in the past few months. First, they sent out a replacement adjustment assembly (for free) after asking for me to give them my serial number from the bottom of the grinder (make sure you just send all your information in the first email-- add in your mailing address, too, to get things moving quicker).

The micro adjustment started moving the day I received it in the mail. I went online and saw that I just needed to tighten the screws down some more. I had to do that every week up until a week ago or so. Then I was at the end of being able to tighten the screws. I emailed again and realized that I had significant droop and play between the upper adjustment ring and the body of the grinder. If I pressed on the adjustment rings from below, it would push up a good 1/4" or so.

I emailed their customer support again (with a video) and they said that it looks like I needed a new motor/gearbox. They sent it out (and I had it within 2 days) and I had it in the grinder in less than 15 minutes. Now it's like a new 270. WAY quieter than my old one was-- probably because there was so much play in the gearbox.

Anyway, email them and send that video, too. They might start out with just the adjustment assembly but I doubt you'll be out of pocket for anything. Nothing but great customer service from them-- even during the COVID-19 stuff.

Coastie44

#6: Post by Coastie44 »

Another +1 for Baratza's customer support. My Sette 270w gave up the ghost a few days ago - it was making a horrible racket like it was trying to grind pebbles so I emailed them and within a few hours they let me know they will send a new gearbox assembly due to arrive tomorrow.

About 6 months ago my macro adjuster started moving and for that they posted out a new assembly which I received in a few days.

I'm not particularly thrilled that the Sette is not a "but it and forget it" grinder, but problems are resolved quickly through their support team.

goodboyr

#7: Post by goodboyr »

Yup. High vibration is a sign the gearbox is failing. Mine kept vibrating the kid off the hopper. A new gearbox quickly sent from baratza solved the problem.