Baratza Sette 270W Weight Inconsistent

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BruceB

#1: Post by BruceB »

I've done a search and without wading through a 125 pages of posted material I didn't see anything obvious.

I recently got a Sette W (paired with a Rocket Cellini) and I'm loving the results so far. However I have found that the Sette is under dosing typically by a gram or two. I can live with half a gram either way as my taste buds wouldn't be capable of noticing the difference anyway. But a 2 gram under dose is annoying. Thankfully it never seems to overdose to the same extent, maybe half a gram max.

I have played around with the portafilter device arms so they align correctly with the shape of the portafilter but it hasn't really solved the issue.

I just remembered I do need to go back and ensure the counter service and the base are flush and not rocking, one post here alluded to the same issue and using blu-tac. So that will be something I can try when I get home. But has anyone else had issues and solved them?
It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science.
Grimes - Black Hawk Down

amagad

#2: Post by amagad »

I have this combo as well, on mine. I see either -5/+5 dose on average. Where did you order from? Perhaps you can get it exchanged or give baratza a call, they have fantastic support.

lefty69

#3: Post by lefty69 »

The stability of the portafiliter has a lot to do with the accuracy of the scale.

If you have no coffee in your hopper and run the grinder for the weight you are looking for you can see the scale reading jump around a good bit unless the PF is secure. My W will jump around for a second but then is usually stable at 0.0 doing this...and usually doses spot on one within 0.1g.

Also, try dosing into the bin, usually this will exhibit no scale issues and dose accurately. IF this is not the case, then your issue may be more than just the weight impact of the PF.

I would test with the bin...if this works well, then adjust PF hook to stabilize the PF as much as possible util you see minimal variability in the scale reading with no coffee in the hopper. Once you are comfortable that the hopper is stable, try with coffee.

If all else fails, call Baratza.

clyq

#4: Post by clyq »

There's a lot of info about the 270w weight inconsistency. The trick is to use thumbtack or something similar at the bottom of the grinder which gets rid of the inconsistency to 0.1g. The post is here Baratza Sette - End User Reports :)

Headala

#5: Post by Headala »

lefty69 wrote:The stability of the portafiliter has a lot to do with the accuracy of the scale.

If you have no coffee in your hopper and run the grinder for the weight you are looking for you can see the scale reading jump around a good bit unless the PF is secure. My W will jump around for a second but then is usually stable at 0.0 doing this...and usually doses spot on one within 0.1g.

Also, try dosing into the bin, usually this will exhibit no scale issues and dose accurately. IF this is not the case, then your issue may be more than just the weight impact of the PF.

I would test with the bin...if this works well, then adjust PF hook to stabilize the PF as much as possible util you see minimal variability in the scale reading with no coffee in the hopper. Once you are comfortable that the hopper is stable, try with coffee.

If all else fails, call Baratza.
This is great advice, and exactly what I was going to recommend. I'm also using the Sette with a Cellini with fantastic results, but it does take some effort to make sure the portafilter is perfectly level and secure. Once I had the arms and back holder adjusted it has worked within .2g every time and usually spot on.

BruceB (original poster)

#6: Post by BruceB (original poster) »

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies. I tried dosing into the bin and it was consistently accurate with 0.3 either way which I can live with. So it suggests a balance issue with the way I am seating the portafilter and/or how stable the base is, I will try watching a few more vids and going to the blu-tac route next.
It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science.
Grimes - Black Hawk Down

Headala

#7: Post by Headala replying to BruceB »

Good luck; I hope you're able to figure it out.

Also, I love your sig. Great movie!

McPickle

#8: Post by McPickle »

It's critical that you remove any vibrations. Make sure all rubber feet are pushed all the way into the base, then get a ball of any sticky tack such as blu-tack and place it on the base, then press it down onto the counter. After it hardens you won't have anymore vibrations. After doing this I have 0.1g accuracy.

MarkCohen

#9: Post by MarkCohen »

Greetings! I just got the Sette 270W. I've adjusted the coarse grind to what I like and since I only do drip right now, the grinder does a VERY good job giving me the grind I like. The only thing is I can't get the 270w to actually dose properly into the bin. I set it for 30g I get 10g, I set it for 60g I get 28g or so.. I've tried adjusting the forks and portafilter stop at the back and it still doesn't stop at the proper weight.

I've tried rotating the rubber on the arms. I've tried putting the bin in any number of ways. I've tried with the arm in the back flipped out and in.. The feet all make good contact and the grinder doesn't wobble on the counter.

The only thing I notice is that when the bin in in the grinder where the arms fully fit in the bins grooves, it rocks a bit. The rear portafilter stop doesn't engage the bin at all. I can pull the bin forward and have the bottom nipple of the stop rest in the bin lip but it doesn't make full contact on the rubber arms.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, this is my first post, so be gentle. :)

choupi

#10: Post by choupi »

BruceB wrote:I tried dosing into the bin and it was consistently accurate with 0.3 either way which I can live with. So it suggests a balance issue with the way I am seating the portafilter and/or how stable the base is, I will try watching a few more vids and going to the blu-tac route next.
Baratza's own video is pretty helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rLTMyAburw

The only thing I would note is that he mentions that the portafilter should "gently press up on the hook" at the end of the video - I had better results where the contact is actually more snug. Which makes sense to me, if it's a bit more snug it will help stabilize the PF while the grinder is running.