Baratza Sette 270w - messy!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ahmoo

#1: Post by Ahmoo »

I've had my Sette 270w for the past week and have got it dialed in nicely. The quality of the grind is great but it is very messy. Initially I was single dosing, pausing half way and settling the grind then finishing grinding and it was fine. However now that I am grinding the set dose in one go into the portafilter there is a lot of mess and wasted grounds. Is there anything that can be done to help with this? Using standard double basket for the bdb. If its going to end this messy I may just return and get the Sette 270 and single dose and pull manually stopping half way through.
Thanks!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

itamar123

#3: Post by itamar123 »

I use Sette 270 and RDT and it solved the prob.

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

For me it varies by the bean. Typically the darker stuff sprays much more.

Ahmoo (original poster)

#5: Post by Ahmoo (original poster) »

I've switched to single dosing, RDT and using a funnel + wDT and results have been very consistent. I've used a distribution tool from amazon to level the top of the puck then tamped and it's been working well

Calendar

#6: Post by Calendar »

I've found the first few pounds through a Sette are more staticky (word?). The grinds settle down once the burrs are seasoned. (I've had 3 Settes).

I've had no need for any grind distribution and virtually zero spillage.

M4rtin

#7: Post by M4rtin »

Was thinking about switch to thos one from Breville grinder.
Have to check out at store how messy it actually is.

nuketopia

#8: Post by nuketopia »

I'm using mine in super-dry Las Vegas and not getting much in the way of mess. Grinders all make some mess - you just can't create powder without making some mess. But it is pretty well controlled and but a few crumbs land outside the portafilter. Mine does overshoot the target weight by about 0.5g, so I just set it accordingly.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas »

I really like weight-based grinding and used to use a Preciso + Esatto (well, I still do once in a while), dosing into the plastic bin then pouring the grinds into the portafilter. That could be messy at times, so I bought a little stainless funnel which solved the issue. With my new 7-270W I was getting grinds all over the place. I discovered two things. First, I was dosing up to 17 grams (about as much as my doppio basket will take). Done manually is possible, but automatically is messy, as the grinds overflow. Cutting back to 15.5 grams nearly eliminated the mess, but not with all beans/roasts; besides, sometimes I want that higher dose. So, now, I just put a foot-square square piece of cloth over the base of the grinder, extending to both sides, the front and somewhat 'up the slope' of the Sette. I can now dose as I like. When I'm done, I just shake the cloth over the sink. Problem eliminated at no cost in time or money.