Baratza Sette 270 quality issues been resolved yet?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

I am contemplating on buying the Sette 270 (non weight). As of today's date have all the bugs been worked out or at least the more severe ones?

Simon345

#2: Post by Simon345 »

Great question. I am also interested to know. It does seem like the posts about problems have slowed down on HB....

Bob_M

#3: Post by Bob_M »

BKSinAZ wrote:I am contemplating on buying the Sette 270 (non weight). As of today's date have all the bugs been worked out or at least the more severe ones?
I have not seen a post on the Sette for some time; not sure how long. Could be everyone is giving up or maybe Baratza has turned the corner.

3cordcreations

#4: Post by 3cordcreations »

BKSinAZ wrote:I am contemplating on buying the Sette 270 (non weight). As of today's date have all the bugs been worked out or at least the more severe ones?
Hello,

I was looking into these again also. I have been looking at many grinders from Clive Coffee and this is what Ben Piff wrote in an email response:
Ben Piff wrote:We use four Sette 270s in our class room space. They've been perfect (ordered in the last two months so they aren't from the first batches). If you can't differentiate between flat and conical then I'd also see that as a big win for the Sette . But that thing is awesome. Whenever we pull shots on it with milk drinks, it's always a hit. The Zenith is also a favorite, but it's just not as attainable to as many people. Nor are you going to taste an exponential difference there. If anything, conical will have a more noticeable difference then what you tasted with the Atom.
I'm still not sure about build quality, so much plastic and the sound of it. I like how fast it is, the price, the straight thru grinding, but still not sure I'm ready to buy one. The Eureka grinders though more money look better built, quieter, and have nice features.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

appalachia

#5: Post by appalachia »

Got my replacement Sette W a couple of weeks ago after my first one quit working. So far I can say that it is quieter and the computer behaves differently. Time will tell but it's not the same as the one that died. Clive and Baratza made the return/exchange free and easy.

goodboyr

#6: Post by goodboyr »

How does the computer behave differently? Please explain.

cerone

#7: Post by cerone »

I bought one about a week ago and it's running great so far.

Headala

#8: Post by Headala »

I had an early model, went through some issues and was replaced recently. The new one works great, the quality of the grind compares favorably against my Mazzers and other Baratzas, and the convenience of weight-based grinding is addictive.

boiler1

#9: Post by boiler1 »

I also had mine replaced, but since getting the new one in April, the replacement has been running very smoothly. I was initially worried because I needed two shims, but Baratza said it was fine. My replacement also does run with a slightly different sound, perhaps quieter, but there really isn't anything quiet about this grinder (but the trade off is speed and this thing is fast). One last note, if you do get the non-W version, I much prefer using a OE dosing cylinder and holding the portafilter. The portafilter holder works, but I find this way a lot cleaner (I usually do WDT anyway, as I find it helps for my machine).

clyq

#10: Post by clyq »

My grind settings were slipping and I couldn't set the grinder to even numbers, so they sent me a new burr carrier and assembly. It was better for a while but now it's slipping worse than before. If I set it to 5 it will slip to 9 after two or so grinds.