Baratza Sette 270 quality issues been resolved yet? - Page 23

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bogdan

#221: Post by Bogdan »

alexeyga wrote:Has there been any response from Baratza about the grind setting rings drifting? On mine the micro ring started going south recently, really have to keep an eye on it and re-adjust after every other shot.

Other than that - my 270 has been solid and dependable so far.
I had that going on before one of the failures of the gearbox, can't remember if the first or second one

Bogdan

#222: Post by Bogdan »

justgrindit wrote:Unfortunately my experience with Sette 270 hasn't been great so far. I've had it for 6 months out of which it has been out for repairs for 2 month. I experienced grind setting slipping so I had to shim it twice. After that one day it started rattling really loud so off it went for repairs. Luckily the seller sent me a temporary replacement grinder.
I asked the seller about the Sette returns for repairs and they said they've see a lot of them coming back for repairs. Personally I will not buy a Baratza grinder again, at least not a consumer grade one.
Is this maybe something we have to deal with in Europe?! I'm with you in never purchasing a commercial grade Baratza

nuketopia

#223: Post by nuketopia »

I just got bit by the plastic collar for the portafilter top hook.

Kind of unbelievable that it was made from plastic. The new replacement part is said to be metal, as it should have been from the beginning. The grinder was also seemingly built around that one plastic part as well. Difficult to access.

Grind quality has been great on this one, which was a factory exchange for one I bought retail that was an early serial number with infant mortality issues.

But I have to admit, the design is perhaps overly optimistic of the durability of plastic bits.

Baratza support is really great though.

Espresso_Junky

#224: Post by Espresso_Junky »

Bogdan wrote:Broke 3 time in 2 years
Purchased in august 2017:
first gearbox failure: July 208 (11 months)
second gearbox failure: January 2019 (6 months)
third gearbox failure: July 2019 (6 months)

:(
Sell the crappy thing and buy a REAL grinder that will grind well and last for years. Can't believe they still sell those things.

mohninme

#225: Post by mohninme »

Some real mixed feelings out there. My 270 has been a real champ. I think its a 2017 version and not a single complaint about it. It has ground dark to light roasts with no issue and is a very capable single dosing grinder with its low retention. That being said, I have recently relegated mine to being the house roast espresso grinder (med-dark roast only) now that I have settled on a blend and purchased a second grinder. It performs very well and I expect it to last quite some time using it this way. My recently added E37S will handle the heavier work of my lighter roast exploration from now on.

If I didn't say it earlier, I would totally recommend the Sette.
Michael

Locopavoni

#226: Post by Locopavoni »

Sorry to bringing up an old thread, I'm about to get a new grinder strongly considering the Sette 270, love the look of it and the concept, but reading some comments if making me doubt the build quality. - should I stay away?
LMWDP #537

nuketopia

#227: Post by nuketopia replying to Locopavoni »

The quality of beverage is very good. The machine works well. It has indeed, been through a lot of iterations of internal parts. Mine was just upgraded from 270w to 270wi, and got internal fixes as well.

Baratza support is really great, couldn't be better. I'm on my 3rd go round, hopefully, they've got it figured out. I love what it does - I just hope it keeps doing it.

Locopavoni

#228: Post by Locopavoni »

Thanks out of interest does the machine have a date manufactured on it? Just want to make sure that the one I get is as recently manufactured as possible.
LMWDP #537

pcrussell50

#229: Post by pcrussell50 »

Here's a consideration for you Steve...

1) Yes Baratza customer service is top notch. They will do their best to make sure you have a working grinder both on and off warranty. But you are in New Zealand. Shipping costs and time out of service can be an issue.

2) Since you have a Pavoni, you have the ability to profile your shots or pull them traditional style. If you really like to push boundaries, you can experiment with light roasts and flat burrs are the hotness in that space. Plus you already have a Pharos for conical. In my opinion you should consider the Vario. It's only a little more dear than the Sette. And there is almost nothing that goes wrong with it that you can't fix yourself, if it ever does. Mine has just had its ten year birthday and it has never failed to work. Ever. It makes amazingly good grinds at ordinary commercial grinder pace (not nearly as fast as Sette), and can go fine enough on the kind of light roasts that you would want to profile, which is outside the area where the Sette is at its best. Plus, the metal upper and lower burr carriers of the Forte will fit on it for extra peace of mind if you like. Mine is off at Baratza getting that treatment as we speak. Maybe for naught as it was still working fine when I sent it. ;)

3) it is possible that all new Varios come with the aforementioned metal Forte bits nowadays. You would have to confirm that though.

4) unless you are seriously obsessed by the speed of the Sette, I think the Vario gives more range of useful grinding for not a lot more money, plus it does not have a sealed, non-user-serviceable drive train which might be a consideration all the way in NZ

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Espresso_Junky

#230: Post by Espresso_Junky »

pcrussell50 wrote:If you really like to push boundaries, you can experiment with light roasts and flat burrs are the hotness in that space.
Those looking for lighter roasts that barely qualify as even being coffee IMBHO should just try rooibos 'red espresso' tea for that weak/acidic espresso wannabe taste. Guess we should all expect a 4th wave in which grinding/extracting unroasted coffee to reinvent the wheel. To each his/her own I suppose, just glad I'm not stuck with what most 'artisan' roasters are cranking out these days.