Baratza Sette 270 quality issues been resolved yet? - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
clc12rock

#211: Post by clc12rock »

Nunas wrote:In a word, "yes". I had several 7-270Ws, each of which had troubles, such as turning itself on spontaneously, rebooting itself in mid grind. I bought the Wi panel from Baratza and the strange glitches went away. As a bonus, now weighs more consistently, even when I change beans. It's now my daily grinder and I couldn't be happier.
Thanks for your input. I think I'm sold on it. Might as well get it done and let them install it.

keith023

#212: Post by keith023 »

Nunas wrote:In a word, "yes". I had several 7-270Ws, each of which had troubles, such as turning itself on spontaneously, rebooting itself in mid grind. I bought the Wi panel from Baratza and the strange glitches went away. As a bonus, now weighs more consistently, even when I change beans. It's now my daily grinder and I couldn't be happier.
Was this an easy upgrade to perform?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#213: Post by Nunas »

Was this an easy upgrade to perform?
Yes, just take the old panel off and put on the new one. The only difficult bit, it if could be called that was the firmware. You have to reflash two things and you have to do it with an Apple device, not an Android. I had to hunt around to find one, as nearly everyone I know uses Android...finally found an older Apple tablet and the process was simple, if a tiny bit confusing.

Dbcooper

#214: Post by Dbcooper »

My 270wi gearbox died just outside of the 1yr warranty. Made an odd sound Sunday like something was jammed in the burrs which there wasn't. Baratza sent me a new motor assembly (for free) which I installed and fixed the issue. While I appreciate the support it doesn't give me a great deal of confidence in the long term durability of the product.

IMAWriter

#215: Post by IMAWriter »

Dbcooper wrote:My 270wi gearbox died just outside of the 1yr warranty. Made an odd sound Sunday like something was jammed in the burrs which there wasn't. Sette sent me a new motor assembly (for free) which I installed and fixed the issue. While I appreciate the support it doesn't give me a great deal of confidence in the long term durability of the product.
Superior CS and you have an issue of confidence? Strange response for such a nice gesture from Baratza.

Dbcooper

#216: Post by Dbcooper »

My last grinder went 10 years without a single issue (I still have it.) I do appreciate the great CS but one year in with a $550 grinder and it's already requiring a fairly significant repair. That doesn't inspire a great deal confidence in the long term durability of the product.

IMAWriter

#217: Post by IMAWriter replying to Dbcooper »

Fair point, but if your last grinder was the deal, why move on? I'll guess, like may of us, the newer technology, cleanliness and convenience of the Sette was a big selling point. grinders like Mazzer SJs...I had 3, are built like tanks, but IMO produced less consistently good results than my Forte (vario before that) and especially the Sette. Mine is NOT the weighing W, like yours. I have had no issues, but of course, your model is significantly more involved.

I'm curious as to WHERE/When it was purchased? A couple years ago, there was a run (unbeknownst to Baratza at the time) of bad motors installed at the factory. Once that issue was understood and resolved, there has been a FAR less incidence of a motor issue.At least that is what was posted here, and on CG. Baratza is one of the best in the business as regards CS. Perhaps your serial # was amongst the #s included in the motor issue? Could be easily determined.

Anyhow, I hope the new motor fix solves your issue. I love my Sette (and my Forte..great pour over grinder), and I hope you have years of great grinding with yours.

Dbcooper

#218: Post by Dbcooper »

Old grinder is a Cunnill Tranquilo which I bought when I had a Gaggia Classic (long before I upgraded to an E61 HX machine.) I upgraded to the 270Wi when someone posted here that they couldn't taste a difference between the 270W and their $2k Monolith. I was using the Tranquilo this week and was reminded how much better Sette is in terms of flavor in the cup. I'm basically at the point now where my results at home with the Sette are as good, or better than, nearly all of the espresso shops in LA so I have zero complaints about the grind quality. My 270Wi was purchased new last May from Seattle Coffee Gear (on Amazon). My understanding is that the "bad batch" was limited to the 270W and those issues pre-dated the release of the 270Wi. On a side note, the weighing feature ended up being a gimmick for my use so I'd get the 270 if I could do it all over again.

IMAWriter

#219: Post by IMAWriter »

Dbcooper wrote:Old grinder is a Cunnill Tranquilo which I bought when I had a Gaggia Classic (long before I upgraded to an E61 HX machine.) .
Man, those were tanks, and VERY good grinders, comparable to the Mazzer SJ. I had a couple excellent scales, and as I single dose, I went with the 270. Thing is, the timer is so accurate...as long as you're not changing varietals. 5 days in a row, the same bean grind for say 4.0 seconds, you'll be within .2 gram of the same weight. "I don need no stinkin' scale!!" :lol:

Bogdan

#220: Post by Bogdan »

Broke 3 time in 2 years
Purchased in august 2017:
first gearbox failure: July 208 (11 months)
second gearbox failure: January 2019 (6 months)
third gearbox failure: July 2019 (6 months)

:(