Baratza Sette 270 - positive updates?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
scorecard

#1: Post by scorecard »

I recently purchased a new Sette 270. I was a bit unsure after reading some of the older reviews and complaints. I wanted to post to say that for the price point I'm really quite impressed. I think this is a really capable grinder.

For espresso, I found it very easy to dial in (even as someone with limited experience in espresso).

But the real shock for me is the manual brew. I'm still working on it, but I think once I have this properly dialled in, I will be able to make good manual brew coffee with this. Comandante is my point of reference for manual brew, and although I haven't fully worked it out yet, I'm not getting the masses of fines I was expecting, and at grind settings in the 20s, I've had drip brews that drew down too fast, which is a promising sign.

All this prompted me to ask whether it's possible there's been a revision to the Sette recently? Because this seems so very at odds with some of the reviews I've read. Although I admit, one comment was definitely right - the thing can make some noise!

tennisman03110

#2: Post by tennisman03110 »

What comments are you reading that are negative? Recently?

I have Sette 270. Love it for what it is. Espresso only for me. It does tend to drift and I need to adjust the grind often.

Interestingly, even Baratza says it's not very good for brew grinder. But I don't know why.

Advertisement
happycat

#3: Post by happycat replying to tennisman03110 »

If your grind setting is drifting contact Baratza.

1. their simplest solution is a new felt piece that goes into the grind setting ring. Creates more friction.

2. they may also check for gear wear by having you video the 270 grinding. They will send a replacement gearbox.
LMWDP #603

tennisman03110

#4: Post by tennisman03110 replying to happycat »

Thanks! I never really thought about it, but it's getting worse the more I use it.

And to the original question. Another thing to consider is people tend to review something when they aren't happy. There's many more people (i.e. With the Sette) who are happy and quiet.

shayner

#5: Post by shayner »

tennisman03110 wrote:There's many more people (i.e. With the Sette) who are happy and quiet.
Which is one thing you can't say about the Sette.

tennisman03110

#6: Post by tennisman03110 »

Wait everyone doesn't use earplugs when making espresso.. :lol:

Smo

#7: Post by Smo »

The Settte is a great sander, but the gearbox is a consumable.
4 espressos a day and after 18 months, gear
box replacement. On a coarse grind, this will happen much later. I always have a spare gearbox in my closet ...

Advertisement
scorecard (original poster)

#8: Post by scorecard (original poster) »

The main surprise was how coarse the grind size goes. I thought I would not even be able to contemplate filter brews, but I think that's very much a possibility given the current spread of grind sizes I'm seeing. I was so surprised by the range that it made me wonder whether the machine has actually been updated recently, because a number of the prior reviews I found were quite adamant you could not really pull off filter brews with the Sette. I tend to think you can.

I wonder if this is partially a roast profile thing, too. The coffee I buy is quite light and perhaps less prone to producing lots of fines.

jasiano

#9: Post by jasiano »

Only had my sette for a couple weeks or so. Have had to put a shim in already for espresso but since that it's been quite consistent.
I've also found it's quite good for coarser grinds for filter/pour over. I'm sure there are better grinders but I was pleasantly surprised as well given the negative reviews I read beforehand.

That all being said.... Looking forward to the next grinder upgrade lol
-Jason

Down Under