Baratza Sette 270 counts but not grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
march_

#1: Post by march_ »

my Baratza Sette 270 grinder has problems. the screen timer counts up but does not grind or will do one short burst during the grind time. if i 'bang' the top/back of the machine during the grind time it will temporarily grind. I have cleaned out the burrs etc so i do not know what the problem is. Any help or suggestions please?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Since physical abuse :) gets it going, however briefly, the most likely problem is the gearbox is shot. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix and a known problem. Over time, the plastic gears wear and skip a cog. Hitting the machine might get it to start, but it again skips when it hits a bad spot.
You can test for this by pulling the motor/gearbox assy, and removing the motor. This will leave the gearbox free to play with and you should soon enough figure out if the gears have a lot of back-lash.

Another possibility is the power board has a loose wire on it. This is another known issue. If you go to the Baratza site, you can find advanced electrical troubleshooting there. A common electrical issue is with a coil that breaks due to vibration. The fix is to unwind a turn and resolder, then put some silicone seal to stop it from vibrating. Those are the only two things I can think of.

goodboyr

#3: Post by goodboyr »

Forgive me for being rude, but baratza is known for amazing service and the first thing I would do if I had a question would be to call them. In fact the FAQ in the baratza site actually describes this exact issue.

https://baratza.com/sette/

Check the limit switches for the interlocks first.