Baratza Sette 270 clogs up + noise

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Daniel_R

#1: Post by Daniel_R »

Hi,

My Baratza Sette 270 started clogging up.

Checked again after a few days and it clogged up again. Coffee is still coming out, but the grinder runs uneven and makes some weird noises. Seems to run slower, so had to increase the time to get the same dose.

Any suggestions? The machine is still under warranty, so maybe just wait for it to fail completely?

Daniel

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Are you overfilling your PF? The Sette will do exactly this if you try to put too much into the basket. The grinds back up the exit chute and the outgoing grinds, having nowhere to go pug the little plastic slotted wheel and if done badly or often enough gum up the burrs with excess fines.

jja619

#3: Post by jja619 »

How dark are your beans? The only issues I've ever had with clogging the Sette are when I used Starbucks beans when I was in a pinch.

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by dpiette »

I use a Giottos Rocket air blaster camera lens blower to blow out the throat of the grinder once a day. You'd be surprised at how much you get cleaned out.

I remove the burrs about once a week (I go through a little under a pound a week) to give it a more throughout cleaning, and the outbound most slots are sometimes clogged (they are harder to get to with the blower) but it is otherwise clean.

I roast my own beans, and never take them beyond the first crack, so they are pretty lightly roasted.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics