Baratza Sette 270 awful noise

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
goodbyegalaxy

#1: Post by goodbyegalaxy »

I was grinding some new beans today and my Sette 270 started making this terrible noise. I hesitate to call it a "grinding" noise, maybe more a loud rattling (accompanied by the machine shaking pretty hard as well).

My first guess was something hard had found its way into the beans. I cleaned out the burrs and tried with some other beans I knew were fine and recorded this time:
Any idea what would cause this?

stangah

#2: Post by stangah »

Sounds like it could be a gearbox issue. The Sette uses a kind of unique one piece motor/gearbox setup and it seems to have had some kinks. I had mine from my early production grinder replaced by them, then again later when I sent it in for a refresh. I'd give their support line a call and see what they can do for you

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Yup, probably gearbox, unless you recently had it apart for cleaning and this happened immediately thereafter. If Baratza does not come through for you, you may like to know that the gearbox is available on its own for a modes fee. Also, the entire motor & gearbox is available as a unit, again for a reasonable price. If it was after a cleaning then pull your burr carrier and look t see that the inner burr is fully seated.

goodbyegalaxy (original poster)

#4: Post by goodbyegalaxy (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice, it was the motor/gearbox. I contacted Baratza and they sent out the replacement parts free of charge.

mohninme

#5: Post by mohninme »

I just experienced the same issue after just over two years of use. WOW.. great customer service and product support at Baratza. They also sent me the repair parts free of charge.
Michael