Baratza refreshes the Vario lineup with Forte components and ability for user-alignment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
luckydragon

#1: Post by luckydragon »

https://www.coffeegeek.com/new-products ... -grinders/

I recommend reading the full CoffeeGeek article, but the TL;DR is that Baratza have basically cannibalized parts from the Forte and put them into the Vario. Biggest takeaways: more metal components and the ability for users to align the burrs with shims (no more aluminum-foil?!)

I know the Forte BG is a popular modder's grinder to get close to EK43 levels of grind consistency, so it's great Baratza paid attention to that and decided to implement a more user-friendly option to do so. Hope it lives up to the hype.

$600 for the grind-by-weight version with steel ("brew") burrs.

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

I wonder what the point or advantage now is with the Forte, let alone that price difference? Especially if the reg Vario has been upgraded like that and can even be aligned.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing replying to cmin »

I can't find the spec, but if I remember correctly, the Forté has a better duty cycle than the original Vario - something that is a non-issue for most home usage. I don't know about the new + model. Also, I believe that the Forté has food certification, e.g., NSF, which is also a non-issue at home, but is required in many commercial installations.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

boren

#4: Post by boren »

It's interesting that Baratza is releasing new (refreshed) grinders but completely ignore the latest trend towards single-dosing. I would expect them to at least offer an optional hopper optimized for this workflow, like the one they made for the Encore. This hopper has smaller capacity and a lid that can be used as bellows to blow air through the grinder and clear up retention.

My other takeaway from this introduction is that the switch to metal internals hints that they finally accept that plastic is just not a good solution for components that need to be heavy duty. Hopefully the Sette series will get the same treatment. The plastic gearbox is probably the only real issue I see in my 270Wi (the other being the noise).

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

That single dose hopper also fits the Vario (and Forté).

Whether an unmodified Vario should be used for single dosing is a separate issue ... :wink:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cmin

#6: Post by cmin »

boren wrote:It's interesting that Baratza is releasing new (refreshed) grinders but completely ignore the latest trend towards single-dosing. I would expect them to at least offer an optional hopper optimized for this workflow, like the one they made for the Encore. This hopper has smaller capacity and a lid that video to blow air through the grinder and clear up retention.
Pry b/c the Vario, especially with the flap in chute reversed is legit a single dosing grinder with basically 0 retention, very small grind chamber and tiny chute, used one for single dosing daily for pry 6 or 7 years? I don't think Baratza needs to nor will make a single dosing grinder since the Vario can do it as is whether the smaller hopper or regular as that doesn't make a difference. It was much better than my Sette for that, well 4 Settes lol, as they kept dying or self destructing parts, but also the grind quality /taste was better. I've got one of the Varios aligned.

If anything what Baratza needs to do is get rid of that flap as it does nothing, 0 retention, super fluffy grinds etc with it reversed with ceramic or steel burrs. I never figured out what that flap was for as it actually causes issues lol, static and clumping was even worse with it especially in FL here. I hate the flap on my Df64 as well.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Likely a response to the Alicorn alignment method which resulted in customers asking for metal parts for their Varios. I've had my plastic Vario for 10+ years and always single dosed without issue with my levers and am likely steering a friend towards the Vario+ and a Robot for espresso.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
boren

#8: Post by boren »

First video review:

malling

#9: Post by malling »

Also about time, allot have asked for that upgrade for years... but now we want SD design so a little late I would say.

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk replying to malling »

Please read the thread(s). It is a great single doser. The best I've used. Don't be fooled by the design.