Baratza Maestro Plus stopped grinding today

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

My Maestro plus cut out on me today. It has power but won't grind. Could it be clogged and just need to be cleaned? Just trying to trouble shoot.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#2: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

A few more details since I was a bit brief. I home roast and rarely take coffees past full city, usually city if the beans are going for the Maestro (french press/vac pot). Any of the rare darker roasts are espresso only in my Macap which is working perfectly off the same outlet. When I tried to grind on the Maestro using the timer switch it turned as normal and started counting down, but no grind. I also tried the front switch but it also did nothing.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Sherman

#3: Post by Sherman »

As a fellow Maestro Plus owner, you have my sympathy. Unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of troubleshooting. Mine is still running after 5 years (Solis, not Baratza), but I must admit to wanting an upgrade.

If you think it might be a physical stoppage, the easiest thing to do is to take off the top burr carrier and have a look around. Please remember that these grinders use a microswitch that is triggered by the hopper; if the hopper isn't on securely or if there is some other reason why this microswitch isn't activated, then your description could well fit the expected results.

Also, the timer mechanism is purely mechanical, and doesn't require any power to run; this might explain why you're saying that it has power, but won't grind.

You can find the electrical troubleshooting document HERE in PDF format, linked from Baratza's site.

Good luck,
-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

kyle anderson
Sponsor

#4: Post by kyle anderson »

HI Lynn,
Sorry to hear your Maestro Plus has quit. Chances are it is a very simple fix. We have a good trouble shooting guide on our website at http://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting_ ... cg1&code=1
If you can't quickly identify and correct the problem, please feel free to contact us by phone (877-701-2021) or email (support@baratza.com) or feel free to email me directly at kyle@baratza.com
Regards,
Kyle (with Baratza)

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Thanks Kyle. I will take a look at that and see if I can troubleshoot it from there. Will update soon.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

#6: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Well turns out the timer switch is down for the count. Purchased a new one so will pop it in once it gets here.

Thanks for the assistance! Those pdfs really help make it easy.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110