Baratza Forte vs Mahlkonig EK43: Which is Better? - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#131: Post by mivanitsky »

Actually, super ristretto shots from ultralight coffees that are sweet and thick with great clarity are the new hotness. Rao is dated, but a valid authority on EKspresso.

pcrussell50

#132: Post by pcrussell50 replying to mivanitsky »

Hah! What a coincidence. After spending a lot of time diddling with super long low debit, high EY style pulls, (18in/40'ish out like a lot of third wave shops), I just recently spontaneously decided to take a break from that scene for a bit, and have been enjoying some super light thick ristrettos, still with a super low debit start.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#133: Post by mivanitsky replying to pcrussell50 »

And you have the technology to do it. I'd love to try a BDB with PI mod as you have done. That is badass. A Slayer or DE1 is cheating.

nuketopia

#134: Post by nuketopia »

If I were grinding bags of coffee for customers at the retail counter of my roaster/cafe, the EK43 would clearly be the tool of choice over nearly everything else.

That's what the EK43 is built for. Makes quick work of 12oz and 5lb bags of beans.

RyanP

#135: Post by RyanP replying to nuketopia »

It seems a lot of home users prefer it for the espresso taste experience it provides.

nuketopia

#136: Post by nuketopia replying to RyanP »

A lot of them seem to have been purchased with that intent. It really was designed to be a bag grinder.

pcrussell50

#137: Post by pcrussell50 »

Putting aside issues of alignment for a moment, and talking strictly about durability of the Vario, which has been speculated to be poor...

Mine is one of the first. Bought in summer 2009 not long after it made it's flashy opening at SCAA. It has none of the subsequent durability upgrades that have come out over the years, even has the original plastic spur gear, original drive belt, has seen nothing but light to overly light home roast, and has never missed a day of service. I have no idea about it's burr alignment, they are the very bi modal looking original Mahlkoenig ceramics. But to the extent that intransigent ugly pours, unresponsive to meticulous prep have been associated with poor alignment, I have experienced no such thing.

-Peter

Moderator Note:
Follow up discussion regarding alignment methods of the Forté/Vario split into The Alicorn: Achieving Precision Alignment with the Baratza Forté/Vario
LMWDP #553