Baratza Forte vs Mahlkonig EK43: Which is Better? - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mbenedet

#81: Post by mbenedet »

Denis wrote:Here in Europe we are drinking un cracked coffee, filter roast. We use it for espresso with flow/pressure profiling. Ill post a picture to exemplify:

<image>
Not to beleaguer the issue, but how does your decision to drink or preference for uncracked coffee mean that Scott likes dark roast coffee? You may be in the 0.01% of people drinking coffee worldwide, so virtually everyone is "dark" compared to you. I only comment on this again because it was stated before that perhaps his grinder recommendation was based on his (assumed, and false) dark roast coffee preference.

malling

#82: Post by malling »

mbenedet wrote:Where does this "Scott like dark" come from? I've worked with Scott and know his personal preference is to drop batches before first crack ends. I've sent him dozens of my own coffee samples dropped at the edge of the end of first crack and he always prefers the lighter ones. He has clients who roast dark but that's not a reflection of his personal tastes.
Dark is an subjective term and for the record I wrote darker, that means darker than the typical "modern" Northern European style, so with that definition it can still be within first crack.

But his style is too dark for my taste, I never buy coffee that goes beyond first crack, still I get plenty of coffee I find to dark, meaning the coffee I use tend to be very dense and hard that put allot of stress on most grinders.

Secondly different places uses different roast, coffee, doses and water, so concluding that it's the grinder is biased and not very scientific at all. Anyone who knows a little about water, knows it's a key player in how the coffee end up tasting!

And taste is very subjective

Regarding getting the EK from Titus, you just drop him a mail and request for one!

Capac

#83: Post by Capac »

I much prefer super light roasts as well, but will occasionally enjoy a darker roast.

I agree, it's very subjective.

namelessone

#84: Post by namelessone »

He mentions explicitly that he prefers 20-25% Development Time Ratio - https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2016/8/25 ... time-ratio but I think most nordic roasts are around 15%? I would guess similar to say how Square Mile roasts their coffee.

I'll agree with malling here, in my experience water and the quality of the green and the roast have far more impact than the grinder (at least for brewed coffee). I also think the fetish with always higher EY being better doesn't make sense, balance of flavour is more important.

Capac

#85: Post by Capac »

Square mile filter roast is light, but not the lightest I've seen.

Denis

#86: Post by Denis »

I was going to say that Square Mile is roasting not so light. England's roasters tend to roast a bit darker than Nordic roasters do, and this is ok.

From my experience in coffee roasting (little- had 2 roasters using Artisan) and from what I buy online I am satisfied with 12-14%. But we cannot make a rule out of it, some roasters tend to roast more on the outside and less inside and some others (loring- air bed) roast more uniform in-out resulting in different weight loss/density numbers.

I just got the Ethiopia natural today from JB. This is a natural light roast, it is excellent. What I am trying to say here that grinders work different with different type of roasts. It is hard for someone to try to identify himself online based on other people taste, because this is subjective. Some drink only dark, others drink only super light. The rules don't apply for both, so before taking any advises please make sure your taste is similar with others. The Fastest way to do this is to try out before buying on other people your favorite coffee.

Baratza Forte I like it, the price I find just a tiny bit high, but since it has way more steel component compared to Vario (see the pictures on previous pages) I understand and accept the price. More than that, in my opinion the burrs quality is something really important in a grinder. I have seen grinders that because of light roast they have the edges destroyed/rolled after a few kg/lbs of coffee.

The burrs inside Forte are made by Ditting (Swiss), a company that builds really impressive burr in therm of quality. The most unimodal burrs you will ever find in particle distribution graphs will be Ditting (over Ek43 burrs). Ditting geometry is perfect for light roasts/brew/bloom espresso.

SSP grinding is doing custom ek43 burrs with Ditting geometry for brew (doesnt work for espresso- needs custom). Kafatek uses SSP burrs in their grinders, so from my point of view SSP grinding/Hansung is the top man when it comes to burrs. I trust him more than anyone, and he made me a really good custom SSP burr set, just how I asked.

I leave you with a photo of the Ethiopia natural from JB. Have a great week and happy grinding.

Capac

#87: Post by Capac »

Ok, that's pretty light :D .

Intrepid510

#88: Post by Intrepid510 »

Denis: how does anyone not using a commercial grinder brew that coffee at home? That would destroy a regular Baratza grinder like an Encore or Vrtuoso or any consumer grinder.

Honest question do people generally not brew at home?

Capac

#89: Post by Capac »

Your hand takes the toll using a hand grinder :D .

Almico (original poster)

#90: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I got some pre-roasted samples from Nordic Approach a few months back. They were fairly light and fully developed, but not nearly this light. Different strokes for different folks, but that looks awful.

I'm excited to get my Cormorant "sample" roaster up and running so I can try some experimentation with lighter roasts. I'd gladly sacrifice 100g to the Nordic gods and try some 12% roasts, but not 5# worth.