Baratza Forte vs EK43: Which is Better? - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Javier

Postby Javier » Jan 08, 2019, 3:46 pm

Unfortunately, this topic is turning into hyperbolic (and unfounded) statements (e.g., "However, it now appears the BG takes the crown as the best sub $2k grinder and perhaps even sub $3k grinder") and also mind-reading of what Mr. Scott Rao likes or prefers.
LMWDP #115
★ Helpful

Denis

Postby Denis » Jan 08, 2019, 4:22 pm

mbenedet wrote:Where does this "Scott like dark" come from? I've worked with Scott and know his personal preference is to drop batches before first crack ends. I've sent him dozens of my own coffee samples dropped at the edge of the end of first crack and he always prefers the lighter ones. He has clients who roast dark but that's not a reflection of his personal tastes.

Here in Europe we are drinking un cracked coffee, filter roast. We use it for espresso with flow/pressure profiling. Ill post a picture to exemplify:

Bob_M

Postby Bob_M » Jan 08, 2019, 4:46 pm

guydebord wrote:Just because a coffee consultant with financial interests in competing businesses says so? You seem to go too easy for his word. I would take his post with a grain of sand.

Agree
★ Helpful

russel

Postby russel » Jan 08, 2019, 4:56 pm

Javier wrote:Unfortunately, this topic is turning into hyperbolic (and unfounded) statements (e.g., "However, it now appears the BG takes the crown as the best sub $2k grinder and perhaps even sub $3k grinder") and also mind-reading of what Mr. Scott Rao likes or prefers.

+1, it's threads like this that make me question the value of online forum based communities.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com
★ Helpful

Aguirre

Postby Aguirre » Jan 08, 2019, 4:58 pm

Denis wrote:Here in Europe we are drinking un cracked coffee, filter roast. We use it for espresso with flow/pressure profiling. Ill post a picture to exemplify:

<image>

drinking un cracked coffee? You mean coffee has been dropped before first crack? Never heard of it. And I've interacted with many european roasters. Light-Roast lovers.

This doesn't look like un cracked coffee to me. Hard to judge by the color as white balance is really tricky but just looking at the shape and surface of these beans, I'd guess they were dropped with the first crack well underway.

And I think you should pay a visit to America for a coffee trip. Portland and Seattle are good ideas. You'd be surprised :D

There are a lot of light roast lovers around here (and the numbers are growing fast!). I'm one of them.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Jan 08, 2019, 5:57 pm

I will never understand rude online discussion.

My comments merely paraphrased the conclusions from the article. I take Scott's experience at face value because he has a resume worthy of that sort of respect.

If this makes me some sort of blind, Scott Rao fanboy then so be it. I've been called worse.

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Jan 08, 2019, 6:31 pm

Well to be fair it's hard to find unbiased and objective information about coffee equipment and especially grinders. There's many kinds of burr design / sizes and how they effect grinding doesn't seem to be well understood (at least by me, but I'm guessing I'm not alone). There's also lots of discussion about alignment.

So people go back and forth with subjective information and no-one is really able to back any claim (including Scott Rao in this instance IMHO) with solid data. For example, I'm not quite able to understand how the Forte burrs with so little cutting surface can produce similar or superior output to EK43 burrs across all grind ranges (brewed and espresso) which look vastly different. Not saying it's impossible, but some technical explanation would be welcome.

If the goal is to purely make delicious coffee on the cheap at home then you might just as well use a Baratza Encore or similar, the one he is recommending is still a $1000 grinder at the end of the day.

mililani

Postby mililani » Jan 08, 2019, 8:10 pm

Uncracked coffee? Been there, done that. With Ethiopians, it can be REALLLLY interesting. That's the great thing about being a home roaster. I can experiment and have access to so much types of coffees. I've been doing lots of light roasts for drip brew lately. It's incredible what it can do for regionals that are usually decent. I did a Guatemalan huehuetenango recently really light, and man it's so sweet and nice. You just inspired me to do a super light roast. I'm gonna do one next.

Intrepid510

Postby Intrepid510 » Jan 08, 2019, 8:29 pm

This is some funny stuff, honestly far be it for some coffee professional to say a Baratza grinder beat out a professional grinder in taste and you wasted a couple grand. I think the coffee industry is very susceptible to the emperors new clothes.
★ Helpful

erik82

Postby erik82 » Jan 09, 2019, 3:25 am

discsinthesky wrote:Not to derail this too far, but how does one go about buying an EK directly from Titus? Info on the website is very sparse. Also, does anyone have any experience getting a Titus grider to the US?

Easy, just send him an email and you're done. Every grinder will be build to the customers wishes. A Titus EK43S is cheaper to buy in Europe than a Monolith flat.