Baratza Forte vs Mahlkonig EK43: Which is Better? - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RyanP

#61: Post by RyanP »

JayBeck wrote:However, it now appears the BG takes the crown as the best sub $2k grinder and perhaps even sub $3k grinder.

For folks getting into espresso, the Forte should be at the top of the list. There are some gains to be had with more expensive grinders if they are properly aligned. But it sounds like the steel burr carrier in the Forte is pretty well made.
Seems like a strong statement to make off of one user review. Scott's experience does sound promising, though.

culturesub

#62: Post by culturesub »

Capac wrote:Doesn't forte's hopper cause quite a bit of pocorning?
I've read that it does, but how much does pop corning impact the taste of the coffee, especially on brew grinds?

Advertisement
Aguirre

#63: Post by Aguirre »

RyanP wrote:Seems like a strong statement to make off of one user review. Scott's experience does sound promising, though.
+1

a very strong statement. If it's a crown with big bold letters saying "made by KING RAO", then it's fair.

malling

#64: Post by malling »

Yes the brew burrs are more than cable of making espresso, the problem is the grinders durability rather than the capability of the burrs. Wheile this might not be a huge issue in darker roasting areas such as the states, it is a noticable problem in certain part of Europe, where resellers have directly advised against the use of ligher roasts and in some cases stated it's a warranty void to use light roast in the Forte and Vario grinders.

I've heard of enough people who broke their forte of that reason alone, Scott Rao is roasting allot darker so it obviously work for him, but for any European I would strongly discourage using the forte for Espresso, if one intends to use the lighter northern european style.

And again I totally agree that if you buy the EK directly from Titus or install his burr carrier you're not going to have those problems. For a European that is still allot cheaper then getting a Monolith as we have to pay additional 18-25% in VAT and import duties in top of a very expensive delivery, so it might not make sense for an American but it certainly does for us Europeans

discsinthesky

#65: Post by discsinthesky »

malling wrote:And again I totally agree that if you buy the EK directly from Titus or install his burr carrier you're not going to have those problems. For a European that is still allot cheaper then getting a Monolith as we have to pay additional 18-25% in VAT and import duties in top of a very expensive delivery, so it might not make sense for an American but it certainly does for us Europeans
Not to derail this too far, but how does one go about buying an EK directly from Titus? Info on the website is very sparse. Also, does anyone have any experience getting a Titus grider to the US?

lloydalvarez
Supporter

#66: Post by lloydalvarez »

Aguirre wrote:+1

a very strong statement. If it's a crown with big bold letters saying "made by KING RAO", then it's fair.
I had a similar experience comparing a Sette 270wi to a Monolith Flat. Baratza definitely seems to be batting above their reputation.

guydebord

#67: Post by guydebord »

JayBeck wrote:However, it now appears the BG takes the crown as the best sub $2k grinder and perhaps even sub $3k grinder.
For folks getting into espresso, the Forte should be at the top of the list. There are some gains to be had with more expensive grinders if they are properly aligned. But it sounds like the steel burr carrier in the Forte is pretty well made.
Just because a coffee consultant with financial interests in competing businesses says so? You seem to go too easy for his word. I would take his post with a grain of sand.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Advertisement
redbone

#68: Post by redbone »

Many great grinders between a Baratza Forte and a EK43 both in price and grind quality. Thread is merely a comparison of two grinders in a market with vastly more choices. Can't see a behemoth like the EK43 being ideal in a home vs work environment considering footprint and workflow. I'd take the Forte for home use considering its added ability to weight shots and size.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

mbenedet

#69: Post by mbenedet »

malling wrote:I've heard of enough people who broke their forte of that reason alone, Scott Rao is roasting allot darker so it obviously work for him, but for any European I would strongly discourage using the forte for Espresso, if one intends to use the lighter northern european style.
Where does this "Scott like dark" come from? I've worked with Scott and know his personal preference is to drop batches before first crack ends. I've sent him dozens of my own coffee samples dropped at the edge of the end of first crack and he always prefers the lighter ones. He has clients who roast dark but that's not a reflection of his personal tastes.

yoshi005

#70: Post by yoshi005 »

Those interested in a unimodal grinder might also have a look at the (discontinued) Mahlkönig Pro M or a K30 with EK8 burrs.
LMWDP #453