Arco by goat story - Page 51

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#501: Post by LObin »

This is the kind of retention and static I'm talking about (borrowing spressomon's picture)

This eventually leads to inconsistencies. My new routine has completely resolved this.
LMWDP #592

spressomon

#502: Post by spressomon »

@LObin, I'll get a small blower and give it a go as I'm long past tired of removing the grinder from the motor and banging each dose on the counter :roll: .

I was hoping someone with CAD/3D designs skills would design a bellows adapter for the bean chute opening. Having said that, I'm not completely sure a good puff of air from the top would be enough to dislodge the retained grounds at the lower burr area.
No Espresso = Depresso

renatoa

#503: Post by renatoa »

spressomon wrote:I have my doubts...if retention was a design feature.
I didn't mean to suggest that it is a desired feature added by the manufacturer in the design process... but this is what I want from a brew grinder, to retain chaff and fines, by any method.
Some people even design grinders with such feature built-in, check Airmill grinder.
For brew the chaff flakes in the grounds are the equivalent of channeling in espresso.
And a light roast can produce a lot of chaff, even in the 5% ballpark.
People is too much mesmerized by influencers about ratio of fines as the main criteria to judge a brew grinder, but my perception is that too much chaff in the grounds is equally altering the taste as the fines.
I am roasting my own greens, so I have enough amount of chaff to make various experiments.
You don't want to know what is the taste of a chaff "tea"... i.e. chaff infused in hot water.
You are free to continue blowing the static in the grounds canister, but better do it separately, for a greater cup.

renatoa

#504: Post by renatoa »

LObin wrote:This is the kind of retention and static I'm talking about (borrowing spressomon's picture)
If not a design element to increase static, then what is the purpose of the plastic cylinder around the burrs exhaust circle ?

LObin

#505: Post by LObin replying to renatoa »

À la Timemore Sculptor "fines catcher/knocker"? :|

I'm not going to assume anything about the Arco design other than what was already confirmed by Peter.
All I know, is that this level of retention leads to grind exchange, dose inconsistencies and eventually, variations in results and taste.
Unless one was to clean this after every use...
But again, I'm perfectly happy with my current routine and results.
LMWDP #592

LObin

#506: Post by LObin »

spressomon wrote:@LObin, I'll get a small blower and give it a go as I'm long past tired of removing the grinder from the motor and banging each dose on the counter :roll: .

I was hoping someone with CAD/3D designs skills would design a bellows adapter for the bean chute opening. Having said that, I'm not completely sure a good puff of air from the top would be enough to dislodge the retained grounds at the lower burr area.
I pulled over 12 shots last weekend with my Argos, med-dark, non oily beans. Didn't knock the electric dock or grinder on the counter once. Never seen my Arco so clean when I cleaned it on Sunday afternoon.
There are other factors at play obviously but I'm confident this would work for most people.

This is the blower I bought:
VSGO V-B013E Filter Air Blower with Filter Tumbler Design Lens Cleaning Blower Compressed Air for Nikon Sony Canon Digital Camera Lens & Sensor Cleaning (Black+Colorful Ring) https://a.co/d/3oSR3ZD
LMWDP #592

renatoa

#507: Post by renatoa »

LObin wrote:À la Timemore Sculptor "fines catcher/knocker"? :|
Voila, why not... who knows what is the behavior of a certain plastic, when in the middle of a circular magnetic field... ;)
LObin wrote: I'm not going to assume anything about the Arco design other than what was already confirmed by Peter.
All I know, is that this level of retention leads to grind exchange, dose inconsistencies and eventually, variations in results and taste.
Unless one was to clean this after every use...
But again, I'm perfectly happy with my current routine and results.
If by "dose inconsistencies" you mean espresso, then again, all my rant above was about brew.
Brew has already too many variables in the pouring process to talk about consistent results.
Personally I am not concerned to reproduce the great cup from yesterday, I want to be surprised every day.
Obviously cleaning of that static deposit is mandatory, but not in the grounds collector canister.
Me too, happy not seeing white flakes in my grounds.

spressomon

#508: Post by spressomon »

FYI/FWIW 100% espresso here.

Thanks @LObin for the link!
No Espresso = Depresso

luvmy40

#509: Post by luvmy40 »

LObin wrote:This is the kind of retention and static I'm talking about (borrowing spressomon's picture)

This eventually leads to inconsistencies. My new routine has completely resolved this.
Wow! Is that from one dose?

I have commented earlier in the thread about static being an issue with my ARCO, but I'm not seeing anything even close to that. Keep in mind, I hand grind only. I don't have the electric base.

I find a little RDT is all I need, with even my lightest roasts(which are really still in the medium range).

spressomon

#510: Post by spressomon »

^ Yes, 1-dose, 2 spritzes/mists of RDT(!), electric, "medium" roasts and the photo is representative of the retention I see after every grind.
No Espresso = Depresso