Arco by goat story - Page 49

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
renatoa

#481: Post by renatoa »

Small burr is relative, grinding area is the same as of a 64mm flat burr.
Only that it is rolled in the form of a cone.

PeterTheGoat

#482: Post by PeterTheGoat »

^ renatoa is right on the money with the size comment
cone burrs were invented to make burrs more compact and to reduce the torque load on the motor/crank.

Are you guys, that are having trouble with bean not falling down the grinder doing RDT inside the grinder itself or in another cup like the catcher?
I do my RDT in the catcher and never had a problem with beans sticking, but I've heard this from enough of you now, that I think it's a problem that I may be able to address in V2.0, just trying to find the source of it.

Advertisement
spressomon

#483: Post by spressomon »

I RDT in a separate cup before pouring the beans into the Arco.
No Espresso = Depresso

ugen

#484: Post by ugen »

boren wrote:Can a blower be used to reduce retention (instead of slapping or tapping the grinder)?
I tap it lightly on a tamping mat or towel, i think this is fine so long as it is not done too forcefully.

Still loving this grinder, I've been using it way more than the weber key.

boren

#485: Post by boren »

@ugen - based on the fact that the Weber Key costs 4 times as much as the Arco I'd expect it to be better in almost every way except for size and the manual grinder option. What makes you prefer the Arco?

ugen

#486: Post by ugen replying to boren »

I think a lot of my fondness for the Arco is just that I enjoy hand grinding. I still have not compared the coffee from the grinders side by side but I feel that they both do a good job, I have not had any problems with the Key.

howdy-doo

#487: Post by howdy-doo »

PeterTheGoat wrote:^ renatoa is right on the money with the size comment
cone burrs were invented to make burrs more compact and to reduce the torque load on the motor/crank.

Are you guys, that are having trouble with bean not falling down the grinder doing RDT inside the grinder itself or in another cup like the catcher?
I do my RDT in the catcher and never had a problem with beans sticking, but I've heard this from enough of you now, that I think it's a problem that I may be able to address in V2.0, just trying to find the source of it.
I RDT in a separate cup, but I've had it happen even if I don't RDT

Advertisement
spressomon

#488: Post by spressomon »

LObin wrote: <snip> I just received my Arco this week (backer #2784) and I'm rather pleased. The grinder feels solid, the workflow is great, static is minimal and with a few knocks, you get 0 to 0.1g dose consistency. Will look for a bellows to avoid knocking the base on the counter every time.(previously with MP and Italmill)
Jonathan, did you find a bellows that works with the Arco?
No Espresso = Depresso

renatoa

#489: Post by renatoa »

Goat, look below what vox populis commend :)
See that taper between the body wall and the outer burrs ?

LObin

#490: Post by LObin »

spressomon wrote:Jonathan, did you find a bellows that works with the Arco?
I totally forgot about it! Although I'm now questioning if it would really dislodge the grounds that gather at the burr exit. Static seems to be the culprit.
I use a little brush to clean this. A blower for camera lenses doesn't do it.
LMWDP #592