Arco by goat story - Page 45

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
heytchap

#441: Post by heytchap »

That's fine but that's not what I'm asking, I'm just asking what setting range people are using for pours. I'm taking this camping soon and don't want to waste time and coffee when I'm out there.

Mukka

#442: Post by Mukka »

I've used the recommended range printed on the bottom of the catcher and it was fine.

renatoa

#443: Post by renatoa »

That's the problem... the range is too wide... because brew is about a lot of devices, unlike espresso.
I use 1.48 for my actual coffee on Aeropress, but anything from 1:20 to 2.0 could give good results in various brew tools I own... all good, but different.

heytchap

#444: Post by heytchap replying to renatoa »

This is the kind d of info I'm after.

What do you use for pour over?

renatoa

#445: Post by renatoa »

Depends on beans origin and roast intensity, I am adjusting the setting for 2:30 extraction time.
This could be anywhere in the 1.30 to 2.0 ballpark.
Just experiment for your taste, this is the range to start.

bigfatpug

#446: Post by bigfatpug »

Can someone please comment on how this grinder would compare to a Lagom Mini as an espresso-exclusive grinder? I just need something for very light usage, and don't feel like getting a big, fat flat-burr espresso grinder. (I drink like 90% brew and plan on getting an Ode gen 2 once they arrive in Canada)

RTOBarista
Supporter ♡

#447: Post by RTOBarista »

I received my Arco last week. No problem with the fine setting. I have pulled a few shots with light and dark roast beans. Retention is less than .1 with light roast using RDT. Dark roast with RDT was too wet. I'm using a grind setting between 24 and 26 for Espresso. Using a Flair 58 with current upgrade and a Weber Unifilter with EPF and their puck screen. Looking forward to getting my Odyssey Argos

Pour over with Stagg was good.

heytchap

#448: Post by heytchap »

bigfatpug wrote:Can someone please comment on how this grinder would compare to a Lagom Mini as an espresso-exclusive grinder? I just need something for very light usage, and don't feel like getting a big, fat flat-burr espresso grinder. (I drink like 90% brew and plan on getting an Ode gen 2 once they arrive in Canada)
I don't think anyone has done a direct side-by-side yet but they seem loosely comparable but the Lagom will surely be clearer in the cup depending on the burrs chosen.

LObin

#449: Post by LObin »

I don't have the Lagom Mini but I instead purchased the Solo 38 grinder. It's also called the SPTK-38 although the Solo has a few upgrades over the SPTK and many over the 1st version sold on AliExpress. The Solo burrs are very similar in geometry to the Commadante and Moonshine burrs.

I opted for the Solo38 over the Lagom Mini since the reviews of the most recent model are better for espresso with no reports of stalling or failures as well as having a wider range.

I need to put more coffee through the Solo TiN coated to get the full picture but I can't find a whole lot of difference for now, at least in the cup. It's not a bad thing though since I really enjoy the Arco.

The Solo38/Lagom Mini are definitely quieter and slower. It's easier to get 0 retention, just by using the blower.

I can report back once the burrs are seasoned but I'd say, if having the option to convert to hand grinding is a bonus and if mainly use for espresso, the Arco is definitely a great choice.
LMWDP #592

ugen

#450: Post by ugen »

Recently received the Arco, I haven't compared the espresso side to side with the Key yet. My only other grinder experience is an inexpensive hand grinder that worked well except it was very slow, adjusting settings was difficult, and then it slowly deteriorated structurally.

Overall I think the Arco is great. Static isn't much of an issue, just knocking the bottom of grinder on a tamping mat releases most of the stuck on grounds into the collecting cup, I do not RDT. It is a lot louder than the Key (the Key is crazy quiet). The motor noise is worse when it runs empty/without beans, I would say that sound is not an issue for me. Attaching the grinder to the base isn't a satisfying process but not a big deal. I prefer using it as a hand grinder, one slight issue for my hands is that it is too large and so not super comfortable to hold. Hand grinding 17g for espresso at moderate pace takes about 1 min. Build quality is great.