Arco by goat story - Page 40

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
marcism

#391: Post by marcism »

renatoa wrote:Probably one of the last updates...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/go ... ts/3618181
I swear I must be one of the very last (backer #3316). I feel like a zen monk of patience now.

LObin

#392: Post by LObin »

I just received my Arco this week (backer #2784) and I'm rather pleased. The grinder feels solid, the workflow is great, static is minimal and with a few knocks, you get 0 to 0.1g dose consistency. Will look for a bellows to avoid knocking the base on the counter every time. Hand grinding is also very pleasing. I quite agree with the YouTube reviews so nothing new in that department.

My 2 only grips so far are:

1. The sound is not pleasing. Not as loud as expected but it's not smooth. Far from the soothing sound of Niche and the Lagom P64.
*A great feature is the ability to simply hand grind in the morning when the rest of the family is still sleeping. I quite enjoy this to be honest.

2. While the taste and texture when making espresso with anything from medium to dark roasts, is outstanding, it may beat my Niche in that department (it has put my DF64/HU is on the back seat right now), lighter roasts are easy to pull but lack in clarity. Shots are round and mellow but a tad too muddy for my taste.

I'm looking for a 2nd grinder that will do "modern espresso" better to complete my espresso bar. I have my eyes on the SPTK-38 and the 1Zpresso K Max right now.

Very happy with my purchase!

*I also have a Niche Zero and a DF64/HU (previously with MP and Italmill)
LMWDP #592

spressomon

#393: Post by spressomon »

After 3+ weeks of daily using my Arco for espresso (motorized only) static and the grounds cup/magnet ring are my only two quips.

2 spritzes required to nullify static ("medium" roast level beans, 20g dose). Pouring espresso grounds into basket is easier & cleaner after removing the plastic magnet retainer from the metal cup (easy) after each grind session.

I purchased the Arco mainly as a travel grinder for our RV & LandCruiser and neither quips are deal breakers for me.

Very good value so far!
No Espresso = Depresso

LObin

#394: Post by LObin »

spressomon wrote: removing the plastic magnet retainer from the metal cup (easy) after each grind session.
Sorry I don't understand this...? The catching cup is plastic. What's the metal cup?

I guess I've gotten used to way more static with the DF64 so the Arco feels like an improvement to me in that department.
LMWDP #592

spressomon

#395: Post by spressomon »

^^^ the catch cup is metal but the magnet holder is plastic.

No Espresso = Depresso

LObin

#396: Post by LObin replying to spressomon »

I see. My catching cup is all plastic. I think Goat Story changed the original design at some point. My backing number is #2784

Edit: I stand corrected (see Peter's post #398), the catch cup is powder coated aluminum with 2 press fitted plastic inserts.

LMWDP #592

spressomon

#397: Post by spressomon »

I, too, thought the catch cup assembly was plastic. But, apart of pulling the catch cup down to empty the grounds one time, the metal portion slipped out of the plastic holder from the magnets.

It appears to be a slip fit tolerance w/o adhesive. I would be surprised if you couldn't easily separate the two pieces...

FWIW, my backer # was only 2xx higher than your's.
No Espresso = Depresso

PeterTheGoat

#398: Post by PeterTheGoat »

None of the catcher cups we sent out are plastic, they never were.
100% of the catcher cups we sent out are aluminium with black powder coating on the outside. (The main part of the body of the electric dock is also powder coated aluminium) And there is a 2 piece plastic insert inside the cup; the upper piece has the magnets pressed in and the lower piece is there to prevent contact of aluminium with your coffee ("food"). This is a press fit, no adhesive, as spressomon said. You can pull it apart with your hands if you want.
Not that it matters once the aluminium is coated with coffee oils, but food safety standards frown upon this when you send food contact products for inspection...

loscorrales

#399: Post by loscorrales »

LObin wrote:I see. My catching cup is all plastic. I think Goat Story changed the original design at some point. My backing number is #2784

That's a mess :(

Jonk

#400: Post by Jonk replying to loscorrales »

Read the last post. It's not.