Arco by goat story - Page 38

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaveC

#371: Post by DaveC »

renatoa wrote:Motor is 200W 12.000 RPM, same ballpark as Niche.

Most of the noise come from the two stage 24x planetary gearbox, that lowers rpm to 500 and multiply torque accordingly
The mechanics inside such box looks as in the animation below, hard to make such think quiet...

video
  • The first statement is incorrect, in a Niche the motor is nothing like this
  • The second statement is untrue regarding the inability to make a 2 stage 24x planetary gearbox quiet.
It's best to keep things as factual as possible, or at least be clear when you are assuming/guessing. The arco was noisier than I expected, which suprised me is all. You can tell that in the video, but you can also see that it's a very interesting concept.

_sawas_

#372: Post by _sawas_ »

I got mine a few days ago, UK plug and backer number was low 1000s. I'm quite pleased with mine considering the price. The electric dock is heavier than expected and feels good in terms of quality. The grinder itself has some machining marks on the inside but is well finished and looks excellent on the outside. The grind setting mechanism has a very satisfying click. The catch cup feels a bit cheap but does a great job and I have not observed much static, It is better than my JXpro in that regard. I feel its a bit slow to grind for espresso but not too bad considering I use light roasts at a very fine setting. The noise is not great but I find it less annoying than online reviews I had seen.

Those are the first impressions. I have not tested it as a hand grinder yet and did not do a comparison with the JXpro.

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#373: Post by DucaiMann »

Haven't read through the thread, but just came to pop in and say how much I like using this grinder. Simple, hand grinding isn't impossible, and it has zero retention with a few RDT sprays.

The only drawback I can even come up with at the moment is that it sounds like a blender when its running, but to have a 2-in-1 grinder like this makes it well worth it!

tinman143

#374: Post by tinman143 »

Thanks for all the feedback so far. If the only major concern is noise, I can live with that.

Swoz

#375: Post by Swoz »

Has anyone tested the noise level in db while grinding?
They claim 65db, but sprometheus on YouTube showed it clocking in at 80db

I got mine yesterday.
Turning the grinder on empty hits 60db.

I think I'm going to get rid of my arco, so I don't want to grind beans to test it out.

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#376: Post by DucaiMann »

Feel free to DM me if you do!

renatoa

#377: Post by renatoa »

60-70 dB is a normal conversation, hard to believe that a grinder could be so quiet.
Measured mine and I can confirm it is in the 81-82 dB ballpark, empty, without beans, from one meter.
Beware to the last detail, measurement distance matters ! Double/halve it and you lose/add 6 dB.

bonjing

#378: Post by bonjing »

It's not just about decibels it about the pitch and tones too. I can have a normal conversation with Fran Drescher from The Nanny (not sure if that's her real voice), but I wouldn't want to.

Marcus_Handikus

#379: Post by Marcus_Handikus »

Okay, so got mine 2 weeks ago through backing on Kickstarter.
Thoughts/findings/feelings after 2 weeks...
Coming from Aergrind by Made by Knock (so a low bar, admittedly), and wanted it to improve hand grind experience and consistency, as well as having the convenience of a powered grinder when at home. I either make an AeroPress, or mainly espresso with my Flair Pro 2.
Right off the bat, grind size seems way more consistent, and Flair screen fills more evenly, and pulls more consistently, with much more clarity of flavour.
Hand grinding is a lot easier than compared to the AerGrind with the travel case carrying everything while holding in place well.
When docked the motor isn't quiet but doesn't bother me one bit for the convenience.
Grind adjustment and dialling in is quick and clicks are positive and satisfying, and plenty granular enough for my setup.

Happy to answer any queries if anyone has any.

Overall, very happy thus far.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#380: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Backer 1564; received in the US today. Quick reaction is that it does what my intended use was. Taking it on car trips. Setting of 30 for my decaf espresso. It's 2pm here so I will try regular in the morning. No it doesn't sound like my Monolith. Do I care? No. I do note that the "ribbed rubber" :D grip doesn't hold tight. It twists while hand grinding. Overall hey its Kickstarter. It works and I am happy with it. I do wish they were more transparent on timing on shipments, even now to the backers that don't have theirs.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart