Arco by goat story - Page 37

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#361: Post by baldheadracing »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Anyone in the US get either a hand only unit or a combo with electrical base yet?
They're shipping to influencers in North America now - there's a disclaimer at 2:10 in this "First Look" (not a review) video from last week that explains what is happening - other than that, Kyle Rowsell says that it sounds like a vacuum cleaner:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#362: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Craig. Ok. Still leaves me wondering. I could care less about the sound from a usage perspective on this. I just want to know a serious explanation of when we might be seeing them.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

renatoa

#363: Post by renatoa »

The sound is of a typical planetary gearbox that is fitted on the 200W motor, similar to what can be found in any kitchen mixer.
There is no high pressure airflow sound, as in a cleaner, Kyle should pay some acoustics lessons.
Check Goat story own video, I posted prev page, #357, at 3:24 for the sound, it is very close to reality, in my earphones.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#364: Post by baldheadracing »

<shrug> sounds like a hand-held cyclonic vacuum to me in Kyle Rowsell's video </shrug>

What Kyle Rowsell's vacuum cleaner sounds like to him may well be different to how your vacuum cleaner sounds like to you; and/or what his Arco sounds like may not be how your Arco sounds. I don't think that you are justified in impugning his hearing.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ira
Team HB

#365: Post by ira »

Not that it means anything, but it got a best new product in Milan:

https://new.sca.coffee/entries/arco-2-in-1

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#366: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz » replying to ira »

I guess what happens in Milan stays in Milan. LOL. Apparently more production issues so they have to check each one again before shipping.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

ira
Team HB

#367: Post by ira »

It's a popularity contest, so it doesn't mean much. My company use to enter and win a few every year. All it took was a hint from my salesperson and being smart enough to put ballots with self addressed stamped envelopes in the hands of 100 of our customers. Was he breaking rules, but the people from the other company didn't treat him with respect. Being nice often has quite significant unexpected side effects.

renatoa

#368: Post by renatoa »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Apparently more production issues so they have to check each one again before shipping.
Indeed...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/go ... ts/3544600

3 of 8 combos of my wholesale pledge had issues, mostly cosmetic, nothing needing servicing or return.

DaveC

#369: Post by DaveC »

I saw it last week in Milan during WOC. It's a nice concept and I think will be popular...It was in a noisy area of the hall and even I was a little surprised that it seemed noisy even in that environment. Showed no signs of wanting to stall though, so plenty of torque, probably due to a high speed motor and hence a bit more noise.

I did a walkthrough video in 2 parts, but part one contains some video of the Arco, from 59s in, as I spotted it immediately after the Bezzera stand.

renatoa

#370: Post by renatoa »

Motor is 200W 12.000 RPM, same ballpark as Niche.
Is the so called universal AC/DC motor, with brushes, speed can be changed with a dimmer that support inductive loads.
Dimmer should be for mains voltage, A/C, the phase angle control type, not 12/24 D/C using PWM, as for LEDs.

The top cover host a rubber timing belt and the typical pair of pulleys, reducing rpm even further from 500 to 350. This stage is quiet.

Most of the noise come from the two stage 24x planetary gearbox, that lowers rpm to 500 and multiply torque accordingly
The mechanics inside such box looks as in the animation below, hard to make such think quiet...