Arco by goat story - Page 34

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
renatoa

#331: Post by renatoa »

Whatever microns that is, if they are the same for all grinders we are good.
But the reports so far indicates serious differences between the copies, and even contradicts the range hints engraved on the bottom

ira
Team HB

#332: Post by ira »

Classic problem when someone assumes holding tight tolerances will make 2 seemingly identical coffee grinders adjust the same.

Ira

renatoa

#333: Post by renatoa »

Is not about tolerances, but having a consistent start for all copies. Other can do this without great effort.
Someone could work in the industry and know what can be done without using rocket science.
As in many other cases, what is important for the final user seems negligible to the manufacturer.
Manufacturing location seems not play an important role... Kinu is not mfr in Asia, but suffer the same issue.

ira
Team HB

#334: Post by ira »

People who make grinders hold all sorts of tolerances, but in general not the angular location of the start of threads. If you miss that one, the only way to have a reasonably consistent zero is to let it be individually set.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#335: Post by baldheadracing »

There are also variation in the burrs themselves. Italmill 47mm/48mm burrs are well-known for production variations, and I don't think that mass-market grinder manufacturers are going to sort through boxes of burrs to match individual inner burrs to specific outer burrs, checking runout, concentricity, etc.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

renatoa

#336: Post by renatoa »

Feldgrind is also using Italmill burrs and is no problem for them to deliver all grinders having lock at zero marking.
Consistent and persistent, mine has the zero still there as in the first day, after 4 years.
They even provide zero adjustment instructions for the users having accidents, like dropping grinder on hard floor.
Sure, they are hand assembled all by same individual, small batches, in Scotland/EU, not mass in China... but the price don't look as for an artisanal product ;)

Jonk

#337: Post by Jonk »

Is this really something that needs to be solved though? As long as it grinds fine enough it's a good thing if Arco won't let users accidentally grind at burr lock. Zero point should change some with break in and use - and even if the burr gap is exactly the same, users will have different experiences based on the beans, basket, machine and profile. Also grind speed and tilt of the grinder will have an effect. In the end there's always some trial and error while dialing in.

Jessipoo

#338: Post by Jessipoo »

iyayy wrote:it has some play, and only lines up with certain numbers, much to my annoyance. the clicks feels mushy, and on some numbers i'm not sure what it is, eg whether is 23.5 or 24 because it doesnt line up to either. i can also move the ring about 1/4mm without it clicking and staying between the markings, so there is some drift.
the 1z clicks at exact spot everytime, and much smoother on the twisting and solid on locking, doesnt drift between numbers, more premium feeling.
really annoying - I have the exact same experience, the lines don't always line up and I feel almost like they will randomly move with different rotations in different directions and stuff it's all quite weird and feels mushy, I don't have great control moving numbers back and forth - the fine tweaking of numbers/grind requires a lot of my attention to get right and a few times to get to an exact number - which is hard to figure out when it's not lining up properly

Jessipoo

#339: Post by Jessipoo »

luvmy40 wrote:This is quite different than my experience.

While the hash mark on the barrel and the numbered marks on the adjustment ring do not line up on my ARCO(the hash falls perfectly midway between numbers), the detent is quite distinct and very repeatable. It does not drift or shift settings while grinding at all.
mine line up sometimes and other times not - I'm not sure if it's even the same numbers that line up and the same ones that don't line up
I haven't used it much so far and the lines not lining up doesn't make for a great experience it doesn't make me want to reach for it

spressomon

#340: Post by spressomon »

Have you communicated the lack of grind setting accuracy/consistency to Goat Story?
No Espresso = Depresso