Arco by goat story - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
happycat

#201: Post by happycat »

fiu-bździu wrote:I'm considering buying an electric SD grinder.
The primary use would be espresso but I may use it with other brew methods as well.

For me the big selling points of this is:
* that when I care I can grind really quietly
* that it can double as a travel grinder

but neither is really critical for me. I want a fairly good SD grinder, that's my main concern.

I see that Arco Goat comes at similar price point to G-Iota which from my preliminary reading seems good for the price but that there are significantly better options once the budget is raised. How does this compare?
Never buy revision 1 of a first product, especially if you're new to the hobby. Let someone else buy it, praise it, then complain about it two months later. Buy something tried, true and multiple revisions in.
LMWDP #603

fiu-bździu

#202: Post by fiu-bździu » replying to happycat »

Thanks for the suggestion.
I really feel overwhelmed by the about of information and I welcome advises like that. I will follow it.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
renatoa

#203: Post by renatoa »

More sugar coating... this time about the burrs :D

www.kickstarter.com/projects/goat-mug/a ... ts/3245499

You asked for frequently updates... no problem, we are served :)

Just a notice for newcomers about all technicals described in the post: everything you read there is absolutely normal, and average level, nothing is outstanding or top. Italmill is a burrs supplier for a lot of other brands, and black oxide coating is used in other grinders for long time, don't increase the price significantly, but brings a lot of advantages, as I found comparing Feldgrind (coated) with Kinu (uncoated) same 38 mm size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oxide
It's completely other thing than titanium (nitride) coating you read about SSP burrs, those are yellow/red.

Getgoodatcoffee

#204: Post by Getgoodatcoffee »

so I refunded my Arco contribution on Indiegogo a while back, and just ordered a Commandante instead. I hope I made the right decision..

jevenator

#205: Post by jevenator » replying to Getgoodatcoffee »

Where did you find a Commandante in the US?

Getgoodatcoffee

#206: Post by Getgoodatcoffee »

I got mine from Black White Roasters, which actually came yesterday afternoon. From time to time, they have a restock on it. The only thing is that it is marked up $50 from retail price, and their logo is printed onto the grinder as well.

Chrikelnel

#207: Post by Chrikelnel » replying to Getgoodatcoffee »

That might just be what they go for these days, specialtyturkishcoffee recently raised their prices on them as well

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
fiu-bździu

#208: Post by fiu-bździu »

Thinking about this burr-engine separation and the taste difference between flat and conical burrs...
in principle, would it make sense to create a single driver that could switch between flats and conicals?
To a newbie like me it looks like something that could be a way to reduce the price and counter space.

I recognize that they have different rotational speeds but I guess there would be several ways to solve it.

renatoa

#209: Post by renatoa »

New post about the progress from today:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/go ... ts/3256417

I like that big empty space under the motor, plenty for a variable speed controller, the first mod I intend for mine when it comes.

About the EMI thing, I don't know why this detail deserve such highlights... :? it's a mandatory test for any appliance manufactured in EU, in order to obtain the CE mark, equivalent of FCC in US.
But hey, we the people requested more frequent updates... :D

spressomon

#210: Post by spressomon »

I'm a backer of the Arco, but growing more and more disappointed by the lack of transparency and updates regarding the manufacturing and fulfillment process/timeline. I've backed many different projects over the years: Frequent updates = Credibility.
No Espresso = Depresso