Arco by goat story - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#171: Post by malling »

I would not worry at all, it's a company that already sell other household products and have their own micro roastery. It would be bad for business if they don't deliver. I could understand the concern if it where any other company with no track record and/or catalogue, however that isn't really the case.

renatoa

#172: Post by renatoa »

Calm down guys, the wholesale pledges are already in the invoicing process, I was been asked about VAT number just today.
Does this sounds as the million dollar robbery from KS ?

heytchap

#173: Post by heytchap »

I'm not suggesting they're running away with the money, just that they need to update us with build status, how things are looking, challenges, etc.

renatoa

#174: Post by renatoa »

renatoa

#175: Post by renatoa »

Also, noticed in my backer's page, that the delivery date (for wholesale package) was been moved to June, instead May, as anyone can still read in the campaign page.
So I guess the individual units delivery date was been pushed from June to July accordingly... just a guess...

k0nfuse

#176: Post by k0nfuse »

It still says June 2021 for my single unit (Super Early Bird).

Comments on the KS indicate that they are fighting tooth and nail to not have delays, but can't confirm anything solid yet.

archagon

#177: Post by archagon »

This looks fantastic from a hand-grinder perspective: like a 1Zpresso K-Plus with better aesthetics and finer adjustment.

Has there been any mention of whether the electric base will be sold separately? I'd rather spend $150 now and pick it up later if I start ever getting into espresso.

Also, any chance that the text on the adjustment dial and catcher will rub off?

EDIT: Backed the hand grinder on IndieGoGo, hoping that they offer the base for $250 or something eventually. @PeterTheGoat, any comment if you still happen to lurk here?

archagon

#178: Post by archagon »

Also, something is not quite clear to me about the burr micron adjustment per click.
PeterTheGoat wrote:The adjustment is 1mm of vertical movement per rotation / 30 clicks = 33microns of vertical movement per click.
(as an engineer I will come to the home and slap the face of anyone that talks about decimals of a micrometer (.3333333...) related to the movement of a coffee grinder. This is not the Hubble space telescope and even that thing is not that accurate.)
The angle of the "calibrating band" part of the burr (the lowest few mm on the cone of the burr) is 10°.
After some trigonometry we can calculate that the burr spacing /the channel between the inner and outer burr that the coffee has to pass thru) increases by 6 microns per click.
For reference: measuring out the geometry of the burrs and vertical movement per click by the same methedology on the standard Comandante (a very good and versatile handgrinder in my opinion) gives 16 microns of burr spacing per click and with the redclix mod 8 microns (this can not be perfectly accurate since we can only measure the burr, we can't take the measurement from a file).

We are considering increasing the number of clicks per revolution from 30 to 60, this would give a burr spacing of 3 microns per click (very high precision espresso). Please tell me what you think about that.

We just recorded some video content today regarding this exact topic with some visual aids to explain how you get 6 microns from 33 microns of vertical movement. It will be online next week on our social media.
Cheers!
I'm assuming that, for example, 1Zpresso also measures this value in terms of vertical adjustment per click and not actual burr spacing. (https://1zpresso.coffee/grindsetting/) Assuming that the number of clicks per revolution is now 60, and the vertical micron adjustment per click is now 17 and not 33: does this mean that the Arco is less precise than the JX-Pro and JE-Plus? Or are these numbers actually measuring different things?

renatoa

#179: Post by renatoa »

A dead horse already too much beaten already...
Kinu is probably the finest of all: 10 microns per division, and infinite resolution, because is stepless... and... who cares ?
We simply don't need this resolution, and the clicks make it even more difficult to handle.
I hope this non-feature will not became the new marketing tool for grinders ranking, would be absolutely stupid.

As a sidenote, when i'll get my Arco unit the first investigation will be how to remove the ball click mechanism, and replace it with a friction based solution.

heytchap

#180: Post by heytchap »

archagon wrote:This looks fantastic from a hand-grinder perspective: like a 1Zpresso K-Plus with better aesthetics and finer adjustment.

Has there been any mention of whether the electric base will be sold separately? I'd rather spend $150 now and pick it up later if I start ever getting into espresso.

Also, any chance that the text on the adjustment dial and catcher will rub off?

EDIT: Backed the hand grinder on IndieGoGo, hoping that they offer the base for $250 or something eventually. @PeterTheGoat, any comment if you still happen to lurk here?
They've mentioned that they will separately sell the base several times in comments, so I think you'll be good there. I imagine there will be an additional cost down the line should you pursue that option though.