Anyone use doser grinders for home use? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

10 years ago dosers were common. Usually single dosed with constant thwacking the lever to get a good distribution in the portafilter. Properly working and modified if necessary, they are fine. Since then there have been more and more grinders made for the higher end and home market that don't use them and they have fallen out of style.

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

Ditto on the Compak K10 with doser. I use the Niche now, since its more home friendly; but in terms of speed, using a doser to declump and destatic is about as fast as using a blind shaker or WDT.
Jim Schulman

SJM

#13: Post by SJM »

Another Compak K10 WBC used for single dosing in this house.

dilin

#14: Post by dilin »

I am still using a dosered SJ with single dosing mods. The doser works as a declumper? so I don't even need to bother with WDT. I believe that's how some used the Anfim Super Caimano Barista Edition as well.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#15: Post by RapidCoffee »

Fabchef wrote:Hi everyone, was just curious to know if any of you use espresso grinders with doser but for home use? I know often they are used for higher volume applications, but wonder if any of you use for home use? Also do you fill up doser a bit or pre-measure beans first for one or two shots?
I've got a dosered Robur that I use with a small bean load in the mini-hopper as my daily espresso driver, and a dosered Macap M7K that I single dose when trying out different roasts. I'm not a big fan of dosers (and I certainly would not recommend pre-grinding a day's worth of coffee), but the grind quality is excellent. (And yes, I still use the WDT. :wink:)
John

Fabchef (original poster)

#16: Post by Fabchef (original poster) »

Cool, thanks for the reply guys. Interesting grinders you all mentioned.

Primacog

#17: Post by Primacog »

I have been using a k10 PB for single dosing for the last decade but i must admit i have been rather careless with how i managed the retention. I would put in 18g of beans into the hopper and then ground it into the portafilter after clicking the doser to empty into the portafilter.

I have since tried to improve things by using a hand puffer to blow out fines from the chute and making sure the doser is all emptied. I jave also measured the weight going in and going out and it's exacty 18g. May I ask what mods have u done to your k10 to make it better for single dosing?
LMWDP #729

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by DamianWarS »

Fabchef wrote:Hi everyone, was just curious to know if any of you use espresso grinders with doser but for home use? I know often they are used for higher volume applications, but wonder if any of you use for home use? Also do you fill up doser a bit or pre-measure beans first for one or two shots?
Thanks
Fab
Here's an excellent video on doser and doserless grinders plus operation of single dosing in a manual doser. If you're buying a new grinder I wouldn't recommend a manual doser for home use but if it's something you came in possession of either really cheap or given to you then they can still be functional parts of home set ups. Even for a cafes they are less and less favoured.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

Primacog wrote:I have since tried to improve things by using a hand puffer to blow out fines from the chute and making sure the doser is all emptied. I jave also measured the weight going in and going out and it's exacty 18g. May I ask what mods have u done to your k10 to make it better for single dosing?
Compak K10 Chute Mods
Compak K10 Grind Retention Mods (vane and tape sweeper mods)
LMWDP 267

caeffe

#20: Post by caeffe »

Mazzer Major - I use it without the hopper but with the hopper collar/interlock. I also mod'd it to remove the switch and chute screen. I used to put in ~ 2 dose worth; 4 scoops ~7-9g per scoop (14-18g does); eyeballed without weighing the dose or the pull

I single dose now, weigh each dose for 14-18g depending on bean type (dark roast - Saka; med/light roast Black Cat or Fully Cycle). After initial grind, brush out chute, turn grinder on to clear chute out some more, brush inside the doser then twack into a basket. I'll even go between light and dark roast some mornings; 2 pulls light, 1 pull dark. Trying to train my taste buds to discern between coffee types/roast. I'll adjust the grinder between light and dark roast.

The Mazzer Major came with a brush that was the right size for the chute but I was impatient and tried to brush out the chute before the grinder stopped spinning - it ate half the brush bristles. Now I have one of those cheap grinder brushes.
LMWDP #162