Anyone Compare Weber HG-2 vs Key vs Craig Lyn HG-1 Prime? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LindoPhotography (original poster)

#11: Post by LindoPhotography (original poster) »

I'd say do it :D
You might wanna also keep the Niche though unless you need the funds. Workflow on the Niche might be better / cleaner, maybe if it's anything like the Key (not a fan of the magic tumbler wire dangling down). The Niche I think it's one of the best workflow wise.
You'll probably get more clarity out of those larger burrs in the HG1 Prime (along with the lower RPM) but less body. If that's something you want, without going to a large flat burr grinder, then I say it's a good choice.
adrianmsmith wrote:I have the prime in my basket.
..... for 3 days now.....
just battling with myself if it would be a good choice!! Currently have Niche Zero.
has anyone seen a review yet for the craig lyn 2022, please post a link if so

fliz

#12: Post by fliz »

HG-1 Prime also has a 2.5:1 gear ratio (it just isn't switchable) so it should be easy enough to grind with. Smaller and lighter would be driving factors for me, but as a previous HG-1 owner, I'd say the biggest differentiator is that the shaft the inner burr is attached to is shorter. Shorter shaft = better alignment.

I replaced my HG-1 with a Helor 106, "downgrading" from the 83mm mazzer burrs to the 71mm. Alignment on the Helor has been easier to maintain though. Given that, I'd suspect it's a lateral movement from the Niche you already own.

salvia

#13: Post by salvia »

fliz wrote: I replaced my HG-1 with a Helor 106, "downgrading" from the 83mm mazzer burrs to the 71mm. Alignment on the Helor has been easier to maintain though. Given that, I'd suspect it's a lateral movement from the Niche you already own.
I know you put downgrading in quotes, but interesting to note that the original HG-1 initially offered a choice of 71 or 83mm burrs. The 71 burr set version was preferred by multiple well respected testers on here (the threads are available via search), but the 83mm version proved more popular-likely a result of bigger burrs being perceived as being better, and the 71mm version was discontinued.

fliz

#14: Post by fliz »

salvia wrote:...was preferred by multiple well respected testers on here (the threads are available via search)
I did a little dive to confirm what you mentioned. I guess I can confirm that, in the cup, I saw no loss in quality. I've had it for a little under 2 years now, so I can also confirm that maintaining alignment is easier than it was w/ my HG-1. I'd argue the alignment benefits outweigh any possible downsides from the smaller burr set between 71 and 83.

LindoPhotography (original poster)

#15: Post by LindoPhotography (original poster) »

If anyone is curious I actually now have the Weber Key AND HG-2 with the same Mazzer burrs but Weber coated/treated version. The HG-2 should produce the same quality of coffee as the Key set to similar RPM speed. However, I do find the HG-2 Seems to be consistently smoother with a cleaner aftertaste maybe / usually. I was totally happy with the Key comparing with the DF64s with various burrs, Monolith Flat with Shuriken LM burrs, Lagom P64 with Unimodal burrs etc. So I'm not saying the Key was bad, I just noticed it wasn't as nice and smooth for straight espresso shots as the HG-2 seems to be. The previous owner of the HG-2 believes it's because he put a whole lot of coffee through it to season the burrs and noticed an improvement after seasoning. Which I'm hoping is the case because then the KEY will soon be just as good. And having both is definitely redundant I should be selling at least one!

IF that's the case, the only difference really is the looks, and the Key has the advantage of taking up less space to use, faster to grind with higher RPM, definitely LESS WORK.
HG-2 (like the Key) also popcorns a bit, and I don't believe it comes with the Keys extra anti-popcorn lid (Key popcorns more at higher RPM).

Somehow the HG-2 seems even heavier than the Key despite the lack of Motor, some claim the build quality is better on the HG-2. Both seem pretty heavy duty to me!
I don't use the built in magic WDT feature but it would be less annoying / more usable in the HG-2 since it should only stop in one of two positions so you know where it is and how to avoid knocking it.

Craig Lynn HG-1 Prime I haven't tried, has a different gear ratio which is non adjustable, so that could be an advantage or disadvantage (probably an advantage) since it would be easier to grind light roasted coffee for espresso (2.5: 1 on the HG1Prime, instead of the select-able 2:1 or 1:1 on the HG-2).
The other question I'm still curious to know is whether or not that Weber Burr treatment / coating affects the grind quality / characteristics in the cup. I've heard somewhere the coating gives it more clarity, but less body (the Key and HG-2 do seem very flat-burr like in their clarity levels! and don't have so much body you may expect from a big conical!) So if that's the case the HG-1 Prime (same but non coated 83mm mazzer burrs) might have more body and less flavour clarity, which may or may not be to your preference.
Hopefully I'm not just perpetuating a myth.
Some advantages of the HG-1 Prime is the lower price and I believe it is smaller and can be mounted to a table / cutting board or something if desired, which is probably not necessary.